Statement on Teaching in Education
The College of Business at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is committed to providing quality educational programs that provide students with the knowledge, business skills, and professional education necessary for success. In conformity with its Mission Statement, the College has made a commitment to:
1. Maintain a undergraduate curriculum that will:
- Prepare students for managerial, professional and entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Foster critical thinking and develop student competencies in the areas of teamwork, leadership, communication, and emerging technologies.
- Promote ethical behavior in an increasingly diverse workplace.
- Develop skills necessary to compete in a dynamic, global environment.
2. Maintain a graduate curriculum that will
- Provide a decision-oriented focus where the application of knowledge is as important as the acquisition of knowledge.
- Create a program that provides coverage for both large and small organizations.
- Provide an emphasis on decision-making.
3. Foster continual improvement of faculty skills by supporting collegiality, participation in professional organizations, application of emerging technologies, enhancement of interpersonal skills, and interaction with the community.
The purpose of this statement is to ensure that the teaching activities and educational initiatives of the College fully support its mission, engage the support and participation of its stakeholders, and enhance the reputation of the College in the business and academic communities.
Quality teaching is central to the role of each faculty member and has long been recognized as the primary mission of the College and the University. Effective teaching and student learning involve more than just classroom performance. They also include, but are not limited to:
- Developing new course offerings
- Engaging in pedagogical research
- Supervising independent studies
- Advising and scheduling students
- Supervising student research activities