Tuesday, July 20, 2021 – Friday, July 30, 2021
Application & payment deadline: Friday, July 9th at 5:00pm
What is Calculus Prep Camp?
- This is an 11-day program that reinforces algebra and pre-calculus concepts needed to be successful in Calculus I (Math 1950) for students who have a Math ACT score of 26 or higher and a major that requires Math 1950.
- This program is a combination of lectures, small group interactions, practice and homework using computer-based software.
- The Math ACT score required for Math 1950 is 28. However, students who have a 26 or 27 can satisfy the prerequisite for Math 1950 by attending this camp and successfully passing an exit exam at the end of the program.
- This program does not provide college credit.
How can it help me?
If you do not have an ACT Math score of 28 or higher, then you must pass Math 1720 with a C or better to enroll in Math 1950. This program gives students with a Math ACT score of 26 or 27 an opportunity to prepare for and pass an exam that will allow you to enroll in Math 1950 without having to complete (and pay for) any additional pre-calculus courses.
This program is also highly encouraged for students who do have a Math ACT score of 28 or higher. Students often forget many of the algebra and pre-calculus skills that are necessary to be successful in calculus, so they struggle to pass the course due to a weak foundation even if they have a solid understanding of the calculus concepts. It can be very frustrating to understand and complete the calculus part of a problem, but not get the right answer due to incorrect algebra! This program will give students a solid review of these skills – not only will the skills be fresh when you start calculus, but you will also leave the camp with an excellent resource of notes and examples to refer to as you need during your calculus course.
Who is eligible?
- Students must be admitted to the University, have an ACT Math score of 26 or higher, and have declared a major which requires Math 1950.
- Only students who complete the online application for Calculus Prep Camp are eligible. (The link to the online application is provided at the bottom of this page.)
- Space is limited to 60 students. Do not procrastinate with this decision or registration process.
Who will teach the during the program?
Calculus Prep Camp is taught by UTC Mathematics faculty. In fact, these are the same instructors who regularly teach the college algebra, precalculus, and calculus courses.
When is Calculus Prep Camp?
Dates: July 20 - July 30, 2021
Tuesday, July 20: 9:00am - 10:15am - Residential students check into dorms
10:30am - 4:30pm - Camp in session
Wednesday, July 21 – Saturday, July 25: 9:00am-4:30pm
Sunday, July 25: 12:00pm-4:30pm
Monday, July 26 – Friday, July 30: 9:30am-4:30pm
The Calculus Prep Exit Exam will be proctored on Friday, July 30. Students who are not already registered for a Math 1950 course for the fall semester who pass the exam will be assisted with registration for a Math 1950 course after lunch on Friday.
Students are expected to be present on all days and during all sessions.
What is the cost?
Students will have the option to stay on campus or commute each day.
Living Off Campus
The fee is $125 for students who are commuting to campus, which includes:
- Instruction and custom instructional materials
- Access to online assignments and review videos
- Lunch each day beginning on Tuesday, July 20th
- Dinner on Tuesday night at our pizza welcome party
- Pool night in the Arc
- Lookouts baseball game
- Assistance with registering for reserved spaces in Math 1950 for students who pass the exit exam that did not have the ACT Math pre-requisite
Living On Campus
The fee for students who are staying on campus is $275, which includes all of the above, as well as:
- Dinner each night
- Housing in a UTC dorm for Tuesday, August 20-Friday, July 30 (check out is 11am)
Students will be prompted to make a payment at the end of the application/registration survey. Payment must be received by Friday, July 19, at 5:00 PM ET.
What do I need to bring to class?
Required: Pencil(s), a 3-ring binder, and a notebook
Optional, but strongly recommended: Laptop computer
Detailed information will be sent to accepted students one week before the start of the program. You are encouraged to frequently check your UTC email.
When can I check into my room if staying on campus?
Students will be able to check into their dorms on August 20 at 9:00am.
All students are required to be present for the first session at 10:30am on July 20, regardless of on- or off-campus housing.
What about meals?
- Students should plan to eat breakfast on their own each morning before arriving for camp.
- Lunch will be provided for all students each day.
- Dinner will be provided each day for students staying on campus.
What about parking?
Students will receive a parking permit to allow them to park in general lots during the program.
How do I apply?
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN SOON. PLEASE CHECK BACK NEXT WEEK FOR APPLICATION.
All students must complete the online application.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Cancellation requests must be made via email to [email protected] by 5pm, July 2nd, or the entire program fee will be forfeited. Cancellations received by 5pm, July 2nd, will receive a refund of the program fee, less a $25 administrative fee.
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga reserves the right to cancel the course due to low enrollment. If a course is canceled due to low enrollment, registration fees are refunded in full.
If you have questions with the registration/payment process or need additional information about the program, please contact:
Mrs. Heather Heinlein at 423-425-4545 or [email protected] or
Ms. Tracy Hughes via email: [email protected]