Residence Halls close Wednesday, December 8th, 2021
Fall Check Out Process
- All residents are required to complete the "Checkout Process" form through Manage My Housing. Checkouts may occur between December 1st - December 8th at noon.
- Pre-Checkout Questionnaire
- Available Monday, November 1st, should be completed by Friday, November 19th
- Enter your Anticipated Checkout Date
- Discuss with roommates who will clean which areas of your apartment/suite, then enter the names for your Cleaning Agreement for the Bathroom & Common Area
- Select Express Checkout or book a checkout appointment with housing staff.
- Residents returning for the spring semester may choose to do an Express Checkout.
- An express checkout means:
- You've packed all belongings needed for break from your room and cleaned.
- You've gone to your complex office in advance to get the express checkout envelope.
- You've locked your room & apartment/suite, sealed the key in the envelop and placed it in the key drop at your complex office or given to staff at the office.
- By choosing the express checkout option, you agree you have followed all checkout guidelines and acknowledge you are responsible for any damages in you space notated by staff and waive your right to appeal.
- If you are not returning for the spring or you would like an in-person checkout you should report to your complex office to checkout with a housing staff member.
- At Checkout Questionnaire
- To be completed after you have cleaned, packed and are ready to turn in your key.
- Answer checkout questions
- Are you returning for the spring (fee's may apply)
- Complete at-checkout questionnaire then report to you complex office to check out properly with the Resident Assistant and turn in your key.
- Students will not have access to their apartments during winter break.
- Residents may leave belongings in their room; however, UTC Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for items left in rooms.
- Move out checklist:
- PACK: Take all valuables with you, dirty laundry, medication and anything else you may need for the month.
- All plants, trash, fish, and perishable items should be removed.
- CLEAN: Bedroom, kitchen, bathroom
- CLEAN & empty refrigerator, remove perishable items. Do not defrost or disconnect refrigerators.
- Thermostat: Turn to heat, set to 70 degrees and set fan to AUTO.
- Unplug all electrical items (Except Refrigerator)
- Clear balconies of plants, furniture, holiday lights, etc.
- Close and lock all windows and doors!
- Turn off all lights.
- December Graduates:
- Complete a Housing Cancellation form through Manage My Housing.
- Must check out by Sunday, December 12 at noon.
- After Closing:
- Resident Directors will complete final walk-throughs of all rooms/apartments. Damage charges are assessed by the Resident Director at this time.
- Maintenance will enter rooms/apartments to complete repairs.
- Custodial Team will enter vacant rooms for cleaning.
- Preventative maintenance and custodial care may take place throughout campus during the break.
Spring 2022 Opening
Housing will open Friday, January 7th at 8am for the Spring 2022 semester. Check-in appointments will need to be made through Manage My Housing an will be available 2 weeks prior to move in.
- Fall semester room assignments carry over to the spring semester.
- Due to COVID-19 we are limiting room changes, for details check with your Resident Director.
Permission to Stay Over Break
Designated Winter Break housing facility is Stophel Apartments. Only residents that are residing in Stophel will be considered for Winter Break stay over. Residents from other complexes will be reviewed on a case by case basis, if approved you will have to move for the break to one of our designated spaces.
All requests to stay over Winter Break must be submitted through Manage My Housing, click "Checkout Process" and pre-approved by the Assignments Team. Requests form will open November 1st and MUST be submitted by Tuesday, November 23, 2021 for consideration.
If approved, an additional charge of $11 per night will be applied to your account for residing on campus during the Winter Break period December 8 - January 7, 30 nights, totals $330 (flat fee).
Breaking Your Contract
(Housing Cancellation Request)
Read your housing contract carefully!
By default, all housing contracts are for the academic year (Fall and Spring semester). Our policy states:
“CANCELLATION (Resident): Housing facilities are rented for the academic year beginning on the Commencement Date and ending on the Expiration Date. No Resident may withdraw from the housing except in case of extreme necessity and approved by the University. Cancellation of registration or academic suspension does not automatically release the Resident from the contract. Subletting by the Resident is not permitted. Students should submit their request to break their nine month housing contract by filling out the "Housing Cancellation Request" form located through Manage My Housing. Residents who are permitted to break their housing contract will be subject to a fee.”
As discussed above, you will need to log into your Manage My Housing and submit a "Housing Cancellation Request" if you wish to submit a request to break your contract. If you are approved by our office to break your contract, in most cases a housing cancellation fee will still be assessed. If you have any questions, visit the Cancelling Your Housing section on the Room Assignment webpage. You may also call us so we can provide any additional information you may need to make an informed decision: 423-425-4304.