Admission to BSN Program
Students have an opportunity to apply for an open position in the upper-division nursing courses once they have completed the nursing pre-requisite coursework.
Students desiring admission to the nursing major must complete the BSN Application online. Apply by October 1 to start classes the following January (spring semester), or April 1 to begin in August (fall semester). Students must be admitted to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga as a degree-seeking student to complete the application to the nursing program. Transcripts for transfer applicants must be evaluated by the UTC Admissions office to be considered for admission.
The following are considered when evaluating candidates for admission:
- Completion of credit hours required for sophomore classification including the following prerequisite courses with no grade lower than a C:
- Chemistry with lab
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- English Composition 1 and 2
(Only two of the prerequisite courses listed above may be in progress at the time applications are reviewed by the committee)
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale at UTC
- A minimum Science GPA of 2.50. The nursing major includes a strong biophysical science component; thus, the first grade earned in a required science course will be used to compute the student’s science GPA.
- Extracurricular activities (must be within the past two years and documented on verification form). Examples:
- Community Service - 15 hours
- Military service/participation in ROTC
- Healthcare-related experience (CNA)
- Sports, band, sorority, fraternity, student organizations
- Complete required essay on application.
- Physical and emotional characteristics appropriate for nursing practice as stated in the Core Performance Standards in the School of Nursing.
Acceptance of transfer and substitute credits in nursing to meet requirements of the curriculum will be determined by the school. A student who transfers into the nursing program at UTC will be required to repeat any nursing or other required courses which are not considered comparable to the UTC curriculum or in which the grade earned is lower than a C. Transfer students must meet the same standards as other students in the program.
Acceptance into the program
Candidates will receive written notification of their admission status by email. Candidates who are accepted for admission must complete a criminal background check and drug screening before being fully admitted. Individuals who are not accepted for a given class, and who desire to be considered for the next class must reapply.
Admission to the Nursing major is limited. Admission to the University does not guarantee acceptance to the nursing major. The faculty in the School of Nursing reserve the right to make exceptions to the admission requirements.
Email April Anderson or phone 423-425-4670