Announcing the 2021 University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Piano Arts Competition!
We are thrilled to offer piano performance and competition opportunities to pre-college students at UTC! This year, the competition will be held virtually via pre-recorded videos. The piano competition is an annual event and is open to students in two categories, junior high school and high school, in Tennessee and its surrounding states: Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Kentucky.
- Middle School piano students in grades 6-8.
- High School piano students in grades 9-12.
- 1st Prize Winners from the previous year may not compete in the same category.
Students must perform minimum of two pieces representing two different style periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist, and Modern/Contemporary. Memorization is required except for avant-garde works written after 1950. Compositions written for prepared piano and popular music selections are not appropriate.
Maximum performance times:
- Middle School: 15 minutes
- High School: 20 Minutes
The judging panel reserves the right to withhold awards if eligibility requirements are not met.
|Middle School Category (grades 6-8)
|High School Category (grades 9-12)
Graduating seniors may use this competition as an Entrance Audition into the UTC Department of Performing Arts:
Graduating seniors who plan to attend UTC are also eligible for scholarship awards, including the prestigious Arthur Rivituso Memorial Scholarship of $2000.00 per year.
- Middle School Category (grades 6-8) - $20.00.
- High School Category (grades 9-12) - $25.00.
Please make checks payable to UTC Music.
The judging panel will include faculty from the UTC Department of Performing Arts: Music Division. In the event that a judge is related to or has taught a contestant, that member will recuse himself/herself from voting on said contestant.
Piano Arts Competition Application Form
- Videos must be submitted for all repertoire listed on the original application.
- Submission deadline: application and competition videos are due by Sunday, March 29, 2021. Please submit competition video links directly to Dr. Lynn Worcester Jones at [email protected]
- Each piece or individual movement of a larger work must be uploaded as an individual video file. Preludes and Fugues may be considered a single piece.
- Entrants should NOT introduce themselves, use any identifying information in the title of the video, or announce the piece being recorded.
- Entrants will be assigned a number, rather than be referred to by name.
- By submitting the application form and videos, winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place) agree that their submitted recordings may be shared on the UTC website and social media platforms.
- Winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place) will be announced on the UTC Piano Arts Competition website with their competition videos.
Recording and Uploading Your Videos
- The recording for each piece must be made with one fixed camera angle and in one take.
- Please dress professionally as you would for an in-person performance.
- Please keep visible your face, hands, full keyboard, and upper body in the video at all times. Please limit background noise and ensure your performance space is well-lit.
- Please upload videos separately to YouTube as "Unlisted." Please click here for details on how to Upload videos to YouTube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en.
- Verify that your links work from beginning to end before submission.
All applications and fees must be received by the UTC Department of Performing Arts: Music Division Office by
3:00 PM on March 29, 2021. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Contact Dr. Lynn Worcester at [email protected].