Calculating Your GPA
Grade Point Average
The grade point average (GPA) is the total number of quality points divided by the total number of attempted GPA credit hours, including hours for which the student received an F. The GPA hours do not include credit hours for courses in which grades of S, NC, I, and W have been earned. (Institutional credit is not included in the calculation of grade point averages for graduation or for honors.) Grade point averages are not rounded.
How to Compute Your GPA
Standard GPA Calculation:
- Multiply the grade value for each course taken by the credit hours for that course. The product of this multiplication will be the quality points. Total the quality points and the credit hours.
- Divide the total quality points by the total GPA hours.
- Do not include the hours for S, or NC or I grades.
Grade Point Average Definitions
- Institutional: Includes work completed at UTC.
- Transfer: Includes work completed at another institution and submitted to UTC.
- Overall: Includes UTC institutional work and transfer work.
Continuation standards are based upon the overall GPA for all students.