I've been accepted. Now what?
Congratulations on being accepted to UTC!
Now that you have received your I-20, make sure to complete all of the following before the New International Student Orientation.
After you receive your I-20, you will need to apply for a visa.
Visa application procedures vary somewhat among embassies and consulates.
The U.S. Visas website will help you through the process of obtaining the visa to come to the United States.
Once you are on that site, select the appropriate visa type (e.g. F, J, etc.), then read and follow the instructions.
All international students at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga must obtain health insurance to be protected against any potential health care costs while studying at UTC.
- All international students are automatically enrolled in the UTC Student Health Insurance program.
- Insurance program enrollment occurs on a per semester basis.
- Complete information about UTC Student Health Insurance is available here.
- Health insurance cards can be printed here. (Click "Create Account" and register with your first name, last name, date of birth, and UTC email.)
- The health insurance fee is subject to change at the beginning of each academic year.
- The health insurance fee is lower in summer than in fall and spring, as the summer semester is slightly shorter.
- Students may request a refund if they must leave the country early.
Students may request to waive the cost of UTC student health insurance if they have obtained other insurance coverage before the waiver request deadline. The purchased insurance must meet the university-mandated health coverage criteria:
- The plan must include unlimited (preventative AND emergency) medical coverage.
- Pregnancy coverage may not be excluded.
- The insurance deductible must not exceed $500 per accident/illness.
- The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $20,000 and medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000.
- The plan must require a waiting period for pre-existing conditions of less than 13 months.
- The plan must require the student to pay less than 25% per accident/illness.
- The plan must have an M. Best rating of “A-" or better or a Standard & Poor's rating of “A+” or better.
- All information must be provided in English. Monetary amounts must be listed in U.S. dollars.
- The coverage period must be dated as required.
If you elect to purchase alternative health insurance, you must submit a completed online waiver request form, proof of insurance (e.g. a copy of your insurance card), and a copy of your insurance policy or brochure.
Please click below to fill out the online waiver request form.
|Coverage: Aug. 9, 2018 to Dec. 31, 2018|
|Waiver Due Date: Aug. 20, 2018 at 8 a.m. EST|
|Coverage: Jan. 1, 2019 to May 14, 2019|
|Waiver Due Date: Jan. 7, 2019 at 8 a.m. EST|
|Coverage: May 15, 2019 to Aug. 10, 2019|
|Waiver Due Date: May 15, 2019 at 8 a.m. EST|
The state of Tennessee requires that all students enrolling full-time in public universities provide proof that they have received:
- Two (2) doses of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccination
- Two (2) doses of the Varicella (aka chicken pox) vaccination OR proof of history with the Varicella illness
- Meningococcal vaccination within the last five years — REQUIRED to live on campus
- Three (3) doses of the Hepatitis B vaccination*
- Tetanus vaccination within the last 10 years*
*If you are missing the Hepatitis B or Tetanus vaccination, please sign the waiver on page two of the immunizations form.
For more information about immunization requirements, please see the UTC Student Health Services website.
Apply for housing here.
We highly recommend that international students apply for the Go Global Themed Living Community in Stophel Apartments.
Students who decide to live on campus must pay a $25 housing application fee and a $400 pre-payment fee.
Please click here for instructions on how to apply for student housing.
Please fill out this form so we may assign you a buddy. The deadline to apply is Dec. 15, 2018.
The New International Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming international students.
Spring 2019 dates:
Thursday, Jan. 3- Friday, Jan. 4
Planning your trip to the U.S.
Important things to consider when booking your travel:
- The nearest airport to Chattanooga is the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (CHA).
- The earliest you can move into your dorm without extra charges will be Jan. 2, 2019.
- If you arrive before Jan. 2, 2019, you will need to pay to stay at a hotel and travel to UTC on your own.
- Make sure to arrive no later than Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019.
- The mandatory orientation starts on Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019.
How to get from the airport to UTC
1. Sign up for airport pick-up here. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)***
2. Take ground transportation from the airport. For more information, click here.
***Airport pick-up is only available to students who arrive at the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (CHA) on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019.
Students who live off campus and sign up for airport pick-up will be dropped off at UTC. These students must find their own transportation to their off-campus housing.
The deadline to sign up for airport pick-up is Dec. 15, 2018.
For a list of nearby hotels and attractions, visit the Chattanooga Fun website.