The university and the state require certain immunizations for attending UTC.
Immunization information must be completed, uploaded, submitted and approved to register for classes. Your healthcare provider's signature and office stamp must be provided on the immunization form in the appropriate space or a copy of medical records with evidence of immunizations must be provided.
Follow these three steps to meet immunization requirements at UTC:
Hold Status Verification
After you have submitted your immunizations for review, if you would like to verify your HOLD status for UTC, use the following instructions:
- Go to utc.edu.
- Enter your username and password to access your Mocs Account
- Go to the “Academics” Tab
- Under “Registration and Student Record,” choose Holds
- This will give you details on holds if you have any
Special Note Regarding Operation Move-In:
If immunizations are complete and verified, the system will process that information within 24 hours and then satisfy the immunization hold. Once the immunization hold is satisfied, the process will continue and move to update the housing system. This process can take up to 48 hours after the immunization hold is cleared.
If you have questions related to the housing sign-up or move-in process, please review the Operation Move-In page for additional information.
Please Note: During peak times including summer, it may take up to three business days for your immunization dates and documentation submission to be reviewed.
Copies of Immunizations for Students
Currently enrolled students may be able to access their immunization record through the Medicat Patient Portal.
If you are unable to access your patient portal or do not see your records, fill out the Authorization for Release of Immunization Record form and fax to the UTC University Health Services office at 423-425-2305. Allow up to 10 business days for your request to be processed.
Please Note: A copy of these vital records need to be kept by you once you obtain them. If you submitted your immunization record prior to 2014, your record can no longer be accessed by UHS.
Step One: Immunization Requirements & Recommendations
- MMR: All students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957 must provide proof of immunization with two doses of MMR vaccine at least 28 days apart or serology showing immunity to MMR.
- Varicella or Chickenpox: All students born on or after Jan. 1, 1980 must provide proof of immunization with two doses of Varicella vaccine at least 28 days apart, serology showing immunity to Varicella or documentation from a medical facility verifying a previous diagnosis with the illness
- Meningitis (MCV4 [Menactra® or Menveo®]): New incoming students who are younger than 22 years of age and who will live in campus housing must provide proof of receiving a dose of quadrivalent conjugate vaccine (MCV4 protects against strains: A, C, Y, W135) at greater than or equal to 16 years of age. Any student not living on campus who has not received a dose of quadrivalent conjugate vaccine within the past five years may choose to be vaccinated to reduce the risk of meningococcal disease.
If you are not living on campus and would like to submit a Meningitis Off-Campus Housing Waiver please click here. Please note the form must be printed, signed and uploaded to the Medicat Patient Portal to be reviewed.
- COVID-19: Recommended but not required.
- Hepatitis A: Recommended but not required.
- Hepatitis B: Recommended but not required.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine: Recommended but not required.
- Influenza (Flu) Vaccine: Recommended but not required.
- Meningitis B: Recommended but not required.
- Primary Polio series: Recommended but not required.
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Vaccine (Tdap): Recommended but not required.
Back to Steps
Step Two: Important Immunization Information
What is required?
- A copy of medical records documenting each required vaccine listed on the immunization form or immunity to disease must be provided.
What is accepted?
- As an alternative to an official medical record, this UTC Immunization Form must be completed with the healthcare provider’s signature and office stamp in the appropriate space to register for classes at UTC.
- If you are exempt from certain immunizations for medical reasons, you must upload a signed and stamped statement from a healthcare provider to the Medicat Patient Portal.
- If you have a religious exemption, please email [email protected] to request documentation for you to sign and upload stating you need it for this reason.
- If you are enrolled in on-line only courses with no experiential component, you and your academic advisor must sign the On-Line Only Immunization Exemption Waiver. The completed document must be uploaded in the Medicat Patient Portal.
- If you believe you qualify for another exemption, please email [email protected] with the details regarding your exemption.
- Note that students enrolled in any allied health professions program such as nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy or athletic training may not have the same exceptions to immunization requirements under certain circumstances.
Important Immunization Information Update for Military Students
- If you have served in the military, you are exempt from providing proof of immunizations, but you will need to provide proof of military service to the Medicat Patient Portal. Upload either the front and back of the military identification or your DD214.
Back to Steps
Step Three: Immunization Submission
- Have appropriate documentation completed and available for upload as noted in Step 2.
- Upload appropriate documentation to the Medicat Patient Portal.
- Input correct dates of required and recommended vaccines under the immunization tab on the Medicat Patient Portal to prevent a delay in approving your immunizations and removing any immunization holds on your account.
For detailed instructions on how to upload and enter your immunizations, click Patient Portal Instructions.
Back to Steps