Social Security Number
In order to work on campus, you will need to apply for a Social Security number and card. Please read this document carefully and follow the instructions on obtaining an SSN card.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you MUST schedule an appointment in advance with the Social Security office.
Click here for the Social Security application form.
Click here for an employment letter template.
Curricular Practical Training is temporary employment which is integral to your major and a mandatory part of your program of study. Please click here for more information.
Once you have read about CPT, please submit the CPT request form.
Post Completion OPT
Optional Practical Training is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization before completing their academic studies (pre-completion) and/or after completing their academic studies (post-completion).
Please click here to learn more.
Once you have read the document above, please submit your OPT request form.
If you are a STEM major and need to request a 24-month STEM extension, please click here.
OPT Information Sessions
Every semester, our office hosts several OPT information sessions. Attendance is required if you plan to request OPT approval.
If you are an F-1 student wanting to learn what OPT is and how to apply, join us for one of the mandatory information sessions listed below.
RSVP by emailing [email protected].
Spring 2021 dates
Tuesday, February 9th, 2 to 3 p.m.
Tuesday, February 16th, 9 to 10 a.m.
Friday, February 26th, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2 to 3 p.m.
Tuesday, March 23rd, 9 to 10 a.m.
Location will be in Lupton Hall-Room 240.
24-month STEM OPT Extension
1. New personal information
Students must report any personal information update (i.e. address, phone number) within 10 days. Please make sure to also update your SEVP portal and your MyMocsNet.
2. New/Updated I-983
Students must report and submit a new/updated I-983 for the following changes:
- New employer
- Changes in supervisor details (new name, address, telephone, email, etc.)
- Employer address (headquarter address, physical work location, etc.)
- Change to employer's EIN
- Reduction in compensation (not tied to the reduction of working hours)
- Significant decrease in working hours
- Changes to the employer's commitments or the student's learning objectives
3. Early OPT Termination
If a student plans to forfeit the remainder of their OPT and leave the country, they must report this plan to their international advisor.
4. Termination of Employment
The employer must report the end of a student's employment no later than five business days after the student’s employment end date.
There are two types of date-specific reporting:
1. Six-month STEM validation: Every six months. So, you will need to submit this after six months, 12 months, 18 months, and 24 months.
How to report
1) Make sure that your personal and employment information is accurate in your SEVP portal and your MyMocsNet.
2) Email your international advisor the following information:
- Legal name
- UTC ID
- SEVIS ID
- Current email
- Whether you are still employed on STEM OPT
- Current employer name and address
2. Annual STEM Evaluation: every year. So, you will need to submit this once after 12 months and once after 24 months.
How to report
1) Click here to complete your Annual STEM Evaluation (page 5 of Form 1-983).
This form must be signed by both you and your employer.
2) Email the completed Annual STEM Evaluation to your international advisor.
Below is a chart with the date-specific reporting obligations:
||6-Month STEM Validation
|| Annual STEM Evaluation
For more information about your reporting obligations, please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s website Study in the States, STEM OPT Hub.