Student Employment

Interested students should contact the Student Employment Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office unless otherwise noted.

  1. Federal Work Study

  2. Job Location and Development Program

  3. Academic Service Scholarship Program

  4. Institutional Employment

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work Study is awarded on a first-come first-served basis to undergraduate students with financial need. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must accept their work study award online within 30 days of the award to be eligible for placement.

Students must be admitted to and in regular attendance at the University and in good standing for financial aid to work under the Federal Work-Study program. Eligible students work 10 to 15 hours a week. Unlike other federal financial aid, Federal Work Study funds are not posted to student accounts as a credit. Instead, these funds are paid bi-weekly through automatic deposit or paper check to help the student with living expenses. Students awarded Federal Work Study will need to pay outstanding fee balances by other means.

Placement for Federal Work Study starts on the first day of classes and continues through the first week of classes Fall and Spring semesters. Students awarded in this program choose the job in which they are interested and must interview for the position and sign a contract with the hiring department. Contracts are issued at Placement. Students awarded Federal Work-Study will receive detailed instructions about the Placement process in August preceding Fall classes and in December preceding Spring classes.

Federal Work Study funds are expended quickly, therefore, a Wait List is kept of students not initially awarded but still interested in the program. If work study is not a part of your award package and you are interested in being a part of the program, contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 423-425-4677 and request that you be added to the Federal Work Study Wait List. Although awards from the list are dependent on funds becoming available, several students each year are normally awarded from it. The list is kept in order of the date of the completed Financial Aid File.

The IRS considers funds earned from the Federal Work Study Program to be taxable income. In January, you will receive an IRS Form W-2 which should be filed with your income tax return.

University Career Services

Part-time employment is also available in the Chattanooga area through University Career Services located in the University Center Room 3rd floor room 315.  You can contact University Career Services at 423-425-4184 or To be eligible for this part-time employment, the student must meet the requirements established by the employing agency. Financial need is not a factor.

The IRS considers funds earned from student employment to be taxable income. In January, you will receive an IRS Form W-2 which should be filed with your income tax return.

Academic Service Scholarship Program

Students under this scholarship program receive an award valued at $4200 per year. The award is split into two parts - a scholarship portion ($1,100/semester) and a work portion ($1,000/semester). Students must provide 125 hours of service to the university per semester. Your service position is chosen through the same group of approved positions as Federal Work-Study. Your GPA coming into UTC must be a minimum 3.0 and you must have a record of service to your school and/or your community. A letter of interest, along with a resume outlining your previous service commitments and three letters of recommendation are required. These documents can all be attached to your UTC Online Scholarship Application. Please visit the Scholarships web page for our important Dates & Deadlines as well as instructions on How To Apply. Since this is an extremely competitive scholarship program, students are advised to apply early. Selection will begin as early as March and continue until all available spaces are filled.

Recipients will receive a W-2 for the work portion of the scholarship whereas the scholarship portion will appear on their 1098-T.  This should clarify what needs to be claimed as income and what does not.

Institutional Employment

Departments also hire students through their departmental budget. Students seeking employment on campus should check with the departments in which they would like to work. Some departments historically hire a larger number of students including the Library, University Center, Bookstore, and Parking Services. Departments are not required to post their jobs, but both Financial Aid and Student Placement will post campus positions as they are notified of need.