Renewable award of $4,200 a year for first-time undergraduate students.
Applicants who meet the criteria below will be considered for this award, valued at $4,200 a year. The Tennessee HOPE Scholarship can be awarded along with this, if eligible.
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA (first-time freshmen) or cumulative 3.0 university GPA (transfer students)
- Demonstrate a record of community service/volunteer work in school and/or community
- Ensure submission of three recommendations through the online scholarship application
- Commit to working 125 hours each semester in a department on campus
To be eligible for this scholarship, prospective students should first apply for admission.
The next step is to apply for scholarships. Both applications are required for candidates to be considered for this scholarship. The UTC online scholarship application has a specific section dedicated to this program.
All recommendations must be completed by the recommender through the online scholarship application. The application asks for the email address of any third-party you wish to submit a recommendation on your behalf (no immediate family members please).
Recommenders will automatically be emailed instructions on completing an online recommendation for you when you provide their email addresses. When a recommendation has been completed, you will receive notification by email.
Log back into your UTC online scholarship application any time to manage your recommendation requests. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all recommendations are submitted by the deadline published in the online scholarship application.
This is an extremely competitive scholarship program; only a limited number of these scholarships are awarded. Preference is given to first-time undergraduate students.
This scholarship will be split into two parts—a scholarship portion of $1,100 a semester and a work portion of $1,000 a semester.
- The scholarship portion is paid to students during the second week of each semester.
- The work portion is paid to students every two weeks as hours are worked, the same as for a regular, part-time job. Payroll is sent by direct deposit to a student’s personal bank account.
Recipients will receive an IRS W-2 form for the work portion of the scholarship, while the scholarship portion will be documented on a form1098-T. This should clarify, for federal income tax purposes, what needs to be claimed as income and what does not.
This scholarship cannot be stacked with other renewable merit scholarships or endowed scholarships offered through the UTC Financial Aid & Scholarships or Admissions Offices.
- Renewal Terms and Condition
- This scholarship is renewable and you can receive up to a total of eight (8) semesters.
- At minimum, you must enroll full-time each Fall & Spring semester (12+ credit hours). However, you need at least 30 overall passed hours at the end of your first year; at least 60 overall passed at the end of your second and so on.
- Your academic performance is reviewed at the end of each spring semester. PLEASE NOTE - ANY/ALL college credit earned while you were in high school Will Be considered in this review (i.e. dual enrollment or AP credits).
- At the end of each spring, your overall cumulative GPA must be at least a 3.000 to renew your Academic Service Scholarship.
- If, during a Fall or Spring semester, you totally withdraw, do not attend or do not enroll in at least 12 credit hours, you forfeit the scholarship for all future semesters. Accepting your award does not represent a binding commitment to attend UTC.
- There is not a regain option for students who do not meet the renewal criteria.