Welcome to the NEST!
The NEST is a Living & Learning Community for incoming UTC freshmen education majors and minors. Living in the School of Education's exclusive RLC will set you up with an immediate educational network in Chattanooga during your first year. In addition, you will gain early clinical experiences through required mentor hours at supporting educational experiences, and complete USTU 1250 and EDUC 2010 courses in a cohort setting throughout your first academic year. You will also have access to early PRAXIS preparation, priority registration, professional development, priority for School of Education scholarships, open door advisement, graduation cords, and more! Becoming a part of the NEST will do exactly what the name says, nurture you to become an effective and successful teacher!
Why live in a RLC?
A living and learning community is a cohort of 25-30 students sharing majors, schedules, and living space. Students attend the same sections of core classes (USTU 1250 & EDUC 2010) and live in the same residence hall (West Campus Housing). RLC Students will also be involved in a variety of activities, including specially designed residential events, educational experiences, and a privatized freshman orientation session.
- Attend monthly meetings (food provided)
- 40 hours of required clinical experience per semester
- Enroll in USTU 1250 and EDUC 2010 fall semester
- GPA of 2.75 or higher after the first semester
- Required Group Study Sessions
The NEST is located in the West Campus Housing of UTC's North Campus. Click here for more details about West campus Housing.
The features of living in West Campus include:
- Close proximity to classes and clinical experience
- Suites include shared bedroom (two-bedroom units), common area and bathroom (All roommates will be a part of the NEST).
- Complex includes community rooms, laundry, kitchen, conference rooms, multipurpose rooms, parking garage, Einstein Bagels, Dippers Chicken, P.O.D. Market (food and snacks) and front desk staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 24 Hour Security
- Wireless internet
- Parking lots available near your building
- Walking distance to downtown Chattanooga!
- Living with friends who share the same passion for education!