Welcome to The NEST!
The NEST is a Living & Learning Community for incoming UTC freshmen education majors and minors. Living in the School of Education's exclusive RLC will set you up with an immediate educational network in Chattanooga during your first year. In addition, you will gain early clinical experiences through volunteering with the UTC PAWS program, and complete USTU 1999 and EDUC 2010 courses in a cohort setting throughout your first academic year. You will also have access to early PRAXIS preparation, priority registration, professional development, priority for School of Education scholarships, open door advisement, graduation cords, and more! Becoming apart of the NEST will do exactly what the name says, nurture you to become an effective and successful teacher!
Why live in a RLC?
A living and learning community is a cohort of 25-30 students sharing majors, schedules, and living space. Students attend the same sections of core classes (USTU 1999 & EDUC 2010) and live in the same residence hall. RLC Students will also be involved in a variety of activities, including specially designed residential events, educational experiences, and a privatized freshman orientation session.
Where do NEST students live?
The NEST is located in the Stophel Apartments of UTC's South Campus. The features of living in the Stophel Apartments include:
- Close proximity to classes, volunteer experiences, and the School of Education.
- Your own bedroom (4 same gender NEST students per apartment)
- Early move-in and specialized orientation after you move in (students must still participate in UTC's Orientation)
- Two full bathrooms per apartment
- Kitchen: Equipped with cooking range, oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, and counter top with stools.
- Washer and Dryer in your apartment!
- Living room furnished with couch, chair, end table, coffee table and TV stand
- 24 Hour Security
- Wireless internet
- Cable connections in living room and bedrooms
- Parking lots available near your building
- Walking distance to downtown Chattanooga!
- Living with friends who share the same passion for education!
How do I apply?
Open this Form, complete it thoroughly, and submit.
- Make sure that you:
- Declare a major or minor within the field of education.
- Apply for student housing
Who can I talk to about The NEST?
Vikki Bernotski of the UTC School of Education is in charge of this RLC, she will be your primary contact.