Welcome to RISE: Residents in the School of Education!
RISE is a Living & Learning Community for incoming UTC freshmen education majors and minors. Living in the School of Education's exclusive RLC will set you up with an immediate educational network in Chattanooga during your first year. In addition, you will gain early clinical experiences through required mentor hours at supporting educational experiences, and complete EDUC 1999R and EDUC 2010 courses in a cohort setting throughout your first academic year. You will also have access to early PRAXIS preparation, priority registration, professional development, priority for School of Education scholarships, open door advisement, graduation cords, and more! Becoming a part of RISE will help you become an effective and successful teacher!
Why live in an RLC?
A living and learning community is a cohort of 25-30 students sharing majors, schedules, and living space. Students attend the same sections of core classes (EDUC 1999R & EDUC 2010) and live in the same residence hall (West Campus Housing). RLC Students will also be involved in a variety of activities, including specially designed residential events, educational experiences, and a privatized freshman orientation session.
- Expectations for RISE
- Attend monthly meetings (food provided)
- 40 hours of required clinical experience per semester
- Enroll in EDUC 1999R and EDUC 2010 fall semester
- GPA of 2.75 or higher after the first semester
- Required Group Study Sessions
- Where do RISE students live?
RISE is located in the West Campus Housing of UTC's North Campus. Click here for more details about West campus Housing.
The features of living in West Campus include:
- Close proximity to classes and clinical experience
- Suites include shared bedroom (two-bedroom units), common area and bathroom (All roommates will be a part of RISE).
- Complex includes community rooms, laundry, kitchen, conference rooms, multipurpose rooms, parking garage, Einstein Bagels, Dippers Chicken, P.O.D. Market (food and snacks) and front desk staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 24 Hour Security
- Wireless internet
- Parking lots available near your building
- Walking distance to downtown Chattanooga!
- Living with friends who share the same passion for education!
Apply to RISE
Primary contact: Dr. Kim Wingate and/or Dr. Jennifer Ellis (Faculty-In-Residence)