Risk Management

Risk Management is an integral part of the Safety and Risk Management departmental mission.

It is both a process and a function and provides necessary services to our students, staff, faculty and the public by identifying, evaluating and investigating risks of potential financial loss to the University.

Learn more at the University of Tennessee System Risk Management Website

State law, Tenn. Code Ann. 9-8-307(h), provides that state employees, including employees of the University of Tennessee, have immunity from liability for acts or omissions within the scope of their employment, unless the acts or omissions are willful, malicious, criminal or done for personal gain.

UT System Employee Policy →

Inland Marine is a special property insurance that covers scheduled (listed) equipment for physical damage during transit, loading, unloading and while on location.

Coverage also exists under this policy for motor carrier, railroad and air carrier with a blanket limit of insurance of $125,000.

When a department purchases new equipment that requires Inland Marine coverage, please notify UT's Risk Management at 865-974-5409 and complete the Inland Marine Insurance Request Form.

Non-employee Reporting

If you are injured or incur property damage while on campus, you should report the damage as soon as possible.  

If an accident has just occurred, call Campus Police so that an incident report can be completed.  

If the injury being reported happened earlier, complete this form.

Any questions about reporting claims, accidents, or occurrences may be directed to UT System Risk Management at 865-974-5409, or faxed to 865-974-0936.

If you believe you have incurred  this damage or injury due to the negligence of UTC or our staff, you must file a claim with the State of Tennessee.  The types of claims that can be brought against the State are specified  in T.C.A. 9-8-307 as accessed via LexisNexis.

Employee Reporting

Any regular or term employee who sustains a job-related injury or illness in the course of employment with the University, and receives treatment from an approved provider and whose claim is submitted and approved by the Division of Claims Administration, is covered under the State of Tennessee Workers' Compensation Program.

For more information, visit the Human Resources site for detailed instructions.

Campers Insurance is available for athletic, academic, 4H and child care programs. The purchase of the Campers Insurance is optional and is dependent on each department’s discretion.

A Campers Insurance Program covers participants in case of accidental death, dismemberment, or incurred medical expense while participating in “scheduled, supervised and sponsored activities of the Policyholder”. Campers Insurance is excess to other insurance, which means the camper’s family will not pay any money out of pocket because the Campers Insurance program pays what the primary insurance policy does not pay.

For more information about how to obtain camper insurance, visit the UT Camper Insurance Program webpage or call 865-974-5409.

All property losses, regardless of the amount, are required to be reported. Contact us immediately in an emergency situation when the loss is estimated to exceed $25,000. Safety and Risk Management will then contact the State’s insurance adjuster and the State’s remediation company for the clean-up and repairs. 

In the event of a building damage loss, go ahead and clean up as quickly as possible to protect the property from further damage while Belfor is in route. Complete and submit a “Property Loss Report” and the “Property Claim Packet” with whatever information you have available as soon as possible.  Take photographs of all damage and do not discard anything until the adjuster arrives and inspects the site. Go ahead and separate damaged property from undamaged property.  It is important to file the claim in a timely manner, even if all of the supporting documentation is not immediately available.

Check out these frequently asked questions for more information.

The University of Tennessee offers student health insurance for international and domestic students. Dependents of eligible students are also eligible for coverage. For more information, please visit the Student Health Center.

Description of Coverage
1. Covers liability of students and/or faculty members for the actions of the students while they are engaged in a University of Tennessee directed educational activity relating to their professional field.
2. Covers all locations on and off campus.
3. Insurance coverage is good for one calendar year, following the UT System's fiscal year.  (July 1-June 30)
4. No individual policies will be issued. The UT System Risk Management office, upon request by the host location or practice site, will provide proof of coverage. Send requests to Ann Chappell Tallent (with any attachments) at achappel@tennessee.edu.
5. Very Important:  In the event that you are contacted by a law firm representing a patient/client/facility, please notify the UT System Risk Management immediately at 865-974-5409.

Student Professional Liability Information 2019-20


The Use of University Vehicles Policy provides policies and guidelines on the use of university vehicles maintained by UWA Transportation Services and the campus motor pool.

Utilize the Driver's Report of Vehicle Accident to report an accident while driving a UT vehicle. For more information, contact UT System Risk Management office at (865) 974-5409, FAX (865) 974-0936.

Have questions? Check out UT's FAQ on Auto Claims for more.