Our Investigative Services staff are tasked with following leads developed during the initial reporting of criminal activity to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Police Department. Our Investigators are ready to respond anytime, day or night, to the needs of crime victims, or to the scene of criminal activity.
Investigators work to follow up on reports of criminal activity on campus which are initially reported to our Patrol Officers. The Investigators then establish that a crime was indeed committed, and work to identify and apprehend the person responsible for the crime. Investigators are also responsible for the examination of crime scenes along with the evaluation, collection, and maintenance of evidence. Our Investigators assist the victim or District Attorney’s Office in prosecuting the suspect(s). At UTC, Investigators may also utilize the services of the Office of Student Affairs in lieu of proceeding with criminal charges.
Investigators' responsibilities include:
- Investigation of criminal offenses that occur on campus, interviewing involved parties (i.e. victims, suspects, and witnesses).
- Procurement and service of warrants.
- Conducting background investigations on new Police Department employees.
- Internal Affairs investigations.
- Evidence control for the entire department.