UTC is committed to each student’s academic success.
We know how important it is for first-year students to be enrolled in courses well-matched to the student’s academic background and skill level. These courses also help students meet the University’s academic requirements toward graduation.
Academic advisors create a fall course schedule for all new, first-year students. Courses are selected based on intended major, as indicated by the student’s Academic Interest Questionnaire (AIQ), placement scores and additional information provided on the Academic Interest Questionnaire. The AIQ is within the registration form for new student orientation.
Fall Course Schedule for Incoming Freshmen
First-semester freshmen at UTC are registered for courses geared toward degree requirements based on their chosen majors. All first-year students are registered for the following courses:
- Writing and Communication course (if credit not previously received)
- Quantitative Reasoning course (if credit not previously received)
- Mathematics placement is determined by ACT or SAT Math subscore. Additional details are available on the Math department's website.
As recommended by a student’s department and based on their AIQ, a student is also registered for additional courses from the following:
- Department-related course(s)
- General Education course(s)
- Foreign Language course (if major requires)
- Residential Learning (RLC) and/or First-Year Experience (FYE) course(s)