The Scholarship, Engagement, the Arts, Research, Creativity, and Humanities (SEARCH) Award Program supports UTC graduate students and undergraduate students across all disciplines who pursue original scholarship under the supervision of UTC faculty.
SEARCH awardees gain intensive, hands-on experience with writing a research proposal, designing a research project or creative work, and disseminating findings through publication and/or presentation. Most projects commence in late summer or fall and conclude the following spring or summer.
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 7, 2021
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled graduate student or undergraduate student status
- Full-time, degree-seeking status in good academic standing
- Applicants must be working with a faculty advisor who will supervise the project during the award period.
- Applicants must develop the research proposal in collaboration with the faculty advisor.
Note: Students may only submit one application per funding cycle.
- Award Details
- Award amount – a maximum of $1,000 ( see funding details below)
- Award Cycle: July 1, 2021– June 30, 2022.
- Funds will be transferred to the awardee's department.
- Projects must commence no later than July 1, 2021 (beginning of fiscal year).
- Award Mechanism
- Award funds will be transferred directly to the awardee's department. No funds will be transferred directly to the awardee.
- Awardees will work with the department Administrative Specialist/Budget Coordinator to expend funds to cover costs associated with the SEARCH project only.
- Faculty advisors and department heads are responsible for ensuring that funds are spent for SEARCH related research activities ONLY.
- All funds must be spent by the awardee’s department by June 25, 2022. SEARCH Funds will not be available after this date per UTC fiscal policy.
- Use of Funds and Allowable Expenses
- Requested funds must be used solely to support the student in carrying out the SEARCH research project as outlined in the application proposal.
- All costs must be reasonable and directly related to the SEARCH project.
- Allowable costs include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following: student wages and fringe benefits (the awardee’s home department will process wages and fringe), supplies, minor equipment, travel (to be arranged by the awardee’s home department), and operating expenses.