Proposal Submission Deadline: Sunday, November 17, 2019.
Cadiz Scholar Testimonials
The International Summer Research Experience in Spain represents a collaboration between the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the University of Cadiz in Spain. The purpose of this initiative is to support students to participate in a nine (9) week intensive, creative research experience during the summer in a global environment. Undergraduates and graduates from all disciplines are eligible to apply.
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students may apply. Students in all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Students may only submit 1 application per funding cycle.
The summer research experience in Spain is expected to last for nine weeks onsite with a brief orientation session at UTC. Final reports must be submitted by August 31, 2020. Awards will include the following:
- student stipend (paid as student compensation with fringe benefits and payroll taxes deducted).
- Funds to defray the costs of airfare.
- Housing and transfers
- Funds to defray costs associated with the research activity – e.g., supplies, printing, etc.
All proposals will be reviewed by a selection panel composed of UTC and University of Cadiz faculty and administrators. Each proposal will be evaluated using a standardized rubric. Proposal selection will consider not only the quality of individual proposal but also the alignment with prospective research mentors from the University of Cadiz and diversity of disciplines represented. Awardees will be notified of the outcome via email in February 2020.
- Submit a final project and financial report (awardees will receive a report guide before departure to Cadiz, which will include detailed instructions regarding how to prepare the report) to the Office for URaCE.
- Meet all deadlines related to and participate in the Undergraduate Research Symposium in August 2020.
- Meet all deadlines related to and participate in the Southern Conference Undergraduate Research Forum November 2020.
- Present at the 2021 ReSEARCH Dialogues conference.
- Submit a testimonial form to the Office for URaCE
- Submit a Reflection essay to the Office for URaCE
- Final Report: Awardees will be required to submit a final project report to the URaCE Office by August 31, 2020.
Required Application Materials:
- Signed Application Cover Sheet: (Scanned signatures are acceptable)
- Two (2) letters of Recommendation: Please contact your letter writers well in advance of the deadline to secure a letter
- Unofficial transcripts
- Letter of application: Limited to 2 pages, single-spaced. Font should be 11 pt. or larger.
The letter should answer the following questions:
- What are your long term research goals and interests?
- How is the research and international experience aligned with your learning and career goals?
- Why is an international experience particularly important or impactful for your research and learning?
- What are your future career goals and how will this support those goals?
Submitting Your Proposal
An electronic copy of the entire proposal, signed by the student, and Department Head should be submitted via email email@example.com by 11:45pm on Sunday, November 17, 2019.
Submission is considered complete only when you receive an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of the proposal.
PLEASE NOTE: Proposals received after 11:45pm on Sunday, November 17, 2019 will NOT be accepted under any circumstances and will be returned without review.
The submitted proposal should include scanned copies of the signed cover page and all required application components. In the event that you cannot create scanned copies, we will accept an emailed copy of the proposal accompanied by hard copies of signed documents. BOTH email and hard copies must be received by 11:45pm on Sunday, November 17, 2019.
If you have any questions regarding proposal preparation or submission, please contact:
Amy Campbell: Amy-Campbell@utc.edu or 423-425-4478