Become an International Orientation Leader
Help welcome new international students to the UTC campus and Chattanooga community.
IOLs help the Center for Global Education carry out all the events and sessions planned during the New International Student Orientation.
- Be a current UTC student (with at least one semester completed at UTC)
- Be in good academic standing
- Hold at least a 2.5 GPA
- Be respectful of cultural, religious, political and sexual orientation differences
- Have effective communication skills
- Be motivated and welcoming
- Be enthusiastic and outgoing
- Submit an application
- If selected, participate in the interview process
- Attend ALL training sessions and the IOL retreat
- Be available to work at designated times and dates (Tentative dates: Aug. 8, 2019- Aug. 18, 2019)
- Have international experience (e.g. have lived, traveled, or studied in a country other than the U.S.)
- Have leadership experience working with college-age students
- Have experience working/communicating with international students
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Paid position
- Hone your leadership skills
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills
- Build your time management and organizational skills
- Connect with international students and help them through their transition
- Practice your second language skills with a native speaker
- Become more globally aware by learning about new cultures
- Help promote international education on campus
- Free food, gear and fun
- Attend orientation trainings
- Attend the IOL retreat
- Assist with airport pick-ups
- Assist with housing check-ins
- Lead a group of international students during the New International Student Orientation
- Facilitate small group icebreakers/activities/discussions
- Maintain an approachable and helpful attitude
- Use effective communication and organization skills
- Be able to take charge and take the lead when needed
- Answer questions that new students might have about UTC and Chattanooga
- Assist with New International Student Orientation set up and break down
- Assist with New International Student Orientation housing move-in
- Drive a minivan (e.g. airport pick-ups, Walmart runs, events off campus, etc.)
- Be open to last-minute assignments and responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
- If you are interested in applying to be an IOL, complete the application online.
Application deadline: March 8, 2019 at 5 p.m. (EST)
- If selected, attend the scheduled interviews.
- You will be notified before the end of the spring semester of whether you will be hired as an IOL for the following fall semester.
Who can participate?
If you are interested in being an IOL, you must be a current UTC student, be in good academic standing, and have at least a 2.5 GPA.
How do I sign up to be an IOL?
You can sign up by completing the online application
Is this a paid position?
Yes. The amount will be discussed at a later time.
Is there an interview process?
Yes. If we decide that you could be a potential IOL based on your application and resume, you will be invited for the interview process.
When will I find out if I was selected to be an IOL?
You will find out if you were selected to be an IOL before the end of the spring semester.
How many training sessions am I required to attend?
All of the sessions that are scheduled, as well as the IOL retreat.
Do I need to speak a foreign language to be an IOL?
No. You will communicate in English. However, you may take advantage of this opportunity and practice your second language skills.
Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns about IOLs?
You may contact Senior Coordinator of International Student and Scholar Services, Patricia (Pato) Lin-Steadman.
Meet our Current IOLs