Change of Address

If you change your address, you are required to inform the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. Please fill out this form within 10 days of your move.

Also, make sure to update your My MocsNet directory information.

Travel Signature

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S., please make sure that the travel signature on your I-20 is still valid by the time you reenter the U.S.

Signatures are valid for one year. If you need a new signature, please meet with your international student advisor to request one.

Driver's License Letter Request

If you want to obtain a Tennessee driver's license, you will need a letter from our office. Please click here to request one.

Health Insurance

All international students at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga must obtain health insurance to be protected against any potential healthcare costs while studying at UTC.

  • All international students are automatically enrolled in the UT Student Health Insurance program.
  • Insurance program enrollment occurs on a per semester basis.
  • Health insurance cards can be printed here. (Click "Create Account" and register with your first name, last name, date of birth, and UTC email.)
  • The health insurance fee is subject to change at the beginning of each academic year.
  • The health insurance fee is lower in summer than in fall and spring, as the summer semester is slightly shorter.
  • Students may request a refund if they have to leave the country early.
  • Click here to view a summary of the plan.

Students may request to waive the cost of UTC student health insurance if they have obtained other insurance coverage before the waiver request deadline. The purchased insurance must meet the university-mandated health coverage criteria:

  • The plan must include unlimited (preventative AND emergency) medical coverage.
  • Pregnancy coverage may not be excluded.
  • The insurance deductible must not exceed $500 per accident/illness.
  • The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $20,000 and medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000.
  • The plan must require a waiting period for preexisting conditions of less than 13 months.
  • The plan must require the student to pay less than 25% per accident/illness.
  • The plan must have an M. Best rating of “A-" or better or a Standard & Poor's rating of “A+” or better.
  • All information must be provided in English. Monetary amounts must be listed in U.S. dollars.
  • The coverage period must be dated as required.

If you elect to purchase alternative health insurance, you must submit a completed waiver request form, proof of insurance (e.g. a copy of your insurance card), and a copy of your insurance policy or brochure.

Please click below to fill out the online waiver.

International Student Insurance Waiver Form — Spring 2021

Spring 2021


Jan. 1, 2021 to May 3, 2021

Waiver Due Date:

Jan. 14, 2021 at 8 a.m. EST

Cost: $779

Summer 2021


May 4, 2021 to Aug. 3, 2021

Waiver Due Date:


Change of Status from F-1 to F-2

To change your U.S. visa status from F-1 to F-2, you can either:

A. Travel outside the U.S., apply at a U.S. consulate for the new visa type, and reenter the U.S. on the new status


B. Request a change of status within the U.S. by sending an application to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. To apply from within the U.S., compile the needed items listed in the change of status information sheet and mail the application items to USCIS. This process may take approximately one to three months.

Please refer to the change of status information sheet for more information on changing your status.

Part-Time Study Opportunities for F-2/M-2 students

If you are an F-1 or M-1 student with children and/or a spouse in the U.S. as F-2 or M-2 dependents, your dependent may study part time in any certified program at a school certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program, as long as the study does not amount to what regulations define as full-time for an F-1 or M-1 student.

Please click here to learn more.