Parent Information

Mother carrying son's items into residence hall, with her son behind her also carrying his items

You are vital to your student’s success at UTC.

Most of our communication with students is via their email, but here is some information to keep you in the loop on the financial aid process.

  • The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects student privacy. Federal law prohibits us from discussing any matters specifically related to the student, even with parents who are likely the primary responsible payers of the student’s account.
  • Completion of the Authorization to Disclose Information Form (FERPA) is optional, however it allows open conversations on the phone, through email or in person with individuals authorized by the student. Encourage your student to complete and return this form to the Registrar as soon as he or she is admitted to the University. This Form must be notarized and may not be faxed.
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours) to receive a student loan, HOPE scholarship or TSAA state grant.

  • Full time enrollment is:

      • 12 hours or more – Undergraduate

      • Nine hours or more – Graduate

    Part-time enrollment is:

      • Nine - 11 hours (three-quarter time) - Undergraduate

      • Six - eight hours (half-time) - Undergraduate

      • Five - eight hours (half-time) - Graduate

  • Pell, TSAA and HOPE funds are pro-rated based on actual enrollment. As of the 14th day of classes, hours are locked and aid is paid based on hours enrolled on that day. Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress rules to receive financial aid.

  • Before dropping below half-time or withdrawing completely, the student should talk with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office about any possibility of having to repay aid or losing eligibility.

  • GPA guidelines are different for HOPE recipients. All HOPE recipients will have a HOPE GPA and Institutional GPA. The HOPE GPA does not include any credit hours earned before high school graduation (dual enrollment); the Institutional GPA does. All HOPE recipients must maintain the required HOPE GPA as well as maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
  • For full details regarding maintaining HOPE eligibility, refer to the HOPE Overview page.

To review our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, please refer to the SAP Policy Webpage.

  • Financial aid cannot be received at more than one school. If the student decides not to attend UTC but wants to attend another school, it is his or her responsibility to withdraw from ALL courses at UTC before the first day of classes to avoid any fee-related charges.
  • Concurrent Enrollment Form: Complete this form if you wish to receive financial aid at UTC (Home institution) based on the hours enrolled at another (Host) institution.
  • Some students may receive total financial aid that exceeds tuition, meal plan and campus housing cost.  
  • To have the remaining funds pay towards UTC book purchases, fees, fines or other charges, the student must complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey.  
  • Once financial aid is awarded, the student can complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey through the MyMocsNet account.  
  • To complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey, the student must log into the MyMocsNet account and click on the Money Tab at the top of the screen. The link for Financial Aid Surveys will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • The Admissions Application is available around the beginning of August each year.  
  • Dec. 1 is the last day to complete your admission file and still be eligible for scholarship consideration.  
  • Once fully admitted, you will be given directions to access your MyMocsNet account. Through your MyMocsNet account, you can complete the UTC Online Scholarship Application.
  • The first round of institutional scholarships are awarded beginning early November, so apply early.  
  • UTC scholarships are very competitive. We encourage you to apply early.  

For additional information regarding our Admissions process, call the Office of Admissions at 423-425-4662.

For additional information on our scholarship process, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at 423-425-4677 or  

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed each year.  It is available Oct 1 each year for the next academic year, online at  
  • Completion of the FAFSA is required to review eligibility for grants, federal work study, need-based scholarships and student loans.

Check out our Steps to Apply for Aid for further instructions.

In most cases, NO. Beginning with the 2017-2018 FAFSA, students and parents provide the prior year’s tax information.  

The FAFSA asks for income and taxes paid according to lines on the IRS tax forms. Data from the prior tax year is used as a predictor of the family’s financial situation for the next year.

In the rare instance that prior tax data is not yet available, best estimates can be used on the application. However, the student is asked to correct this information later when the tax return is filed.

We encourage you to file the FAFSA as early as possible.

The information of the parent with whom the student has lived with the most during the 12 months preceding the FAFSA completion date should be the only parent on the application. It does not matter which parent claims the student as a dependent for tax purposes.

If you are the parent required to report financial information on the FAFSA and you are remarried, the stepparent's information also must be included on the application or that student will not be considered for federal student financial aid. If you believe that your situation is unique or unusual other than the stepparent's simple refusal to provide the requested information, you should contact our office to discuss the matter further.

No. The federal Department of Education has strict rules for determining a student’s dependency status.  

If a student is not yet 24 years old within the year the FAFSA is filed, the student generally is still considered a dependent and must submit biological (and spouse) parents’ information on the FAFSA.  

Complete the FAFSA using your actual tax return information; then, contact the Financial Aid Office at 423-425-4677 or by email at for a possible income adjustment review.

Any student’s FAFSA application may be selected for a process called “verification.” If so, all or some of the information provided on the FAFSA has to be audited. 

This is a federal requirement. Both the parent and student are sent verification notices via email.

All documents should be submitted online for the quickest processing.

  • All requested forms can be accessed through the student’s MyMocsNet account.  
  • The student must initiate the completion of the form(s) through their account and request the parent’s signature, if required.   
  • When the student requests the parent signature, the parent will receive an email with a link to complete any parent section(s), sign and submit.  
  • Electronic signature is not required, but will ensure fastest processing.  
  • Paper forms can be turned in to the Mocs One Center or faxed to 423-425-2292. Be sure the student’s UTC ID is on each page being submitted.
  • We begin processing and awarding financial aid each year in March for the upcoming academic year and continue throughout the year.  
  • The student must be fully admitted to the University before the financial aid award process can take place.
  • We must have a valid FAFSA and a complete financial aid file.  
  • First time UTC students will be sent a paper award letter in the mail along with an award guide when the initial award is made.  
  • With all future awards or award changes, the student will be sent an award notification via UTC email.  
  • Student loans are offered to students and must be accepted through the MyMocsNet if the student wants them.  

If additional aid is needed, a Parent PLUS loan may be an option.

  • This is a credit-based loan in the name of the student’s parents. Parents must initiate the process at
  •  If the loan is approved, the parent can request up to cost of attendance minus all other aid for the year.  
  • A UTC PLUS Approval Form must be completed to request this amount.  
  • If the loan is denied, a student will be eligible to receive up to $4,000 a year if he or she has up to 59 earned credit hours or $5,000 a year if the student has 60 or more credit hours in an additional, unsubsidized loan. A UTC PLUS Denial Form must be completed to request the additional unsubsidized loan.
  • The PLUS Approval and PLUS Denial Forms  are available on our forms page.

Alternative Loans which are credit-based loans in the student’s name may be an option for parents who do not want the loan in their name.

  • You should carefully research and compare the options available from different lenders and select the lender that best suits your needs.
  • A Private Education loan is a non-federal education loan, through a private lender typically issued in the student's name and requiring a co-signer.
  • Generally, alternative loans have interest rates, repayment terms and deferment options that are substantially less favorable than those of the Direct Stafford, Perkins, Parent PLUS and Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan programs.
  • Each lender has its own individual eligibility requirements, interest rates, repayment terms and conditions.

Learn more about Private Loans →

You may estimate cost by using one of our cost estimator tools:

Paper billing statements are not mailed. Students will receive an e-bill through the MyMocsNet account when statements are available.