How to apply to the Brock Scholars Program
Apply for Admission to UTC
First, you must apply for admission to UTC.
You do not need to wait for your admission decision from the Undergraduate Admissions Office, but you must initiate that application process—including paying the required admission fee—or we cannot consider your Brock Scholars application.
You should submit the Undergraduate Admissions Application as soon as possible; some academic scholarships, such as the Chancellor’s and Provost’s Scholarships, are awarded on the basis of that application. Funds for these scholarships are limited, so late applicants may not be awarded.
Apply to the Brock Scholars Program
To apply click the above link and it will take you to the UTC Application Portal. You will use the same email address and password as you used to complete your admissions application to UTC. Once logged in, select the blue button that says “Other Applications” and you will see the option to select Brock Scholars Application from that drop down.
The Brock Scholars application is used for determining admission to the Brock Scholars Program and for the awarding of William E. Brock, Jr. Scholarships.
You must submit the following materials no later than 12pm/noon on January 21, 2023, for your Brock Scholars application file to be complete.
Read the following instructions carefully before you begin.
A complete Brock Scholars application file consists of:
- A SUBMITTED Brock Scholars Application Form – You must fill out all sections of this form. You may begin your application and save it to come back to and work on it later. When you've completed all sections, remember to click "Submit." If you simply save it but don't submit the form, we will not be able to view and evaluate it.
- Instead of requesting a resume, we ask that you share three extracurricular/co-curricular activities and three high school courses that have had a significant impact on you. In addition to listing these items for each prompt, you will also need to provide a brief statement for each activity and course that explains why you feel it has been especially significant for you
*This is an opportunity to list activities in which you’ve held a leadership position, experiences you’ve had working an after-school job, your participation in athletic activities, etc. We’re looking for anything outside of your regular coursework that has contributed to your growth as a person. If you have had caregiving obligations or less conventional extra-curricular activities, please include them if they have contributed meaningfully to your growth.
- Short Answer Essay Prompts- demonstrating sharp, original thinking and showcasing your writing at its best. On the tab labeled “Requirements” you will find three prompts. Please ensure that you read the instructions and submission requirements for each prompt carefully, answer each prompt, and upload files ending in .docx, .doc, and .pdf. If we are unable to open your file, we will consider your application incomplete and it will not be reviewed.
- Recommendation – We require one recommendation for your application:
- This recommendation can come from a teacher/supervisor/coach/mentor. This person cannot be a family member or a family friend. Instead, they should be someone who can provide a holistic picture of you as a student and a person. This can be a coach, a supervisor, a community service chair/supervisor, or another teacher.
If you have questions about how to submit your application, email [email protected] or call 423-425-4128.