The Brock Scholars Program is offered as an academic minor at UTC!
The Brock Scholars curriculum consists of 25-31 credit hours in specially designed and enhanced seminar courses, most of which fulfill general education requirements, as well as experiential learning courses that give students opportunities to develop and practice essential skills while challenging themselves beyond the classroom.
The flexible nature of our curriculum allows students from any academic major to participate in the program.
Brock Scholars must complete all of the following (19 credit hours total):
- UHON 1000 – Freshman Honors Studies (1 credit hour)
- UHON 1010 – Humanities I (6 credit hours)*
- UHON 1020 – Humanities II (6 credit hours)**
- UHON 2000 – Sophomore Honors Studies (1 credit hour)
- UHON 3000 – Junior Honors Studies (1 credit hour)
- Departmental Honors or Honors College Thesis: 4 credit hours in any 4995 course
Additionally, Brock Scholars select a total of four courses from the following two lists; no more than two courses may be selected from the second list (6-12 credit hours total).
1. Must select at least two of the following for a minimum of 6 hours:
Innovation Labs (must be taken together in sequence):
- UHON 2850r – Innovation Lab I (3 credit hours)
- UHON 2860r – Innovation Lab II (3 credit hours)
General Education Seminars:
- UHON 3620r Humanities and Fine Arts
- UHON 3630r Topics in Natural Science
- UHON 3640r Behavioral and Social Science
- UHON 3650r Topics in Quantitative Reasoning
- UHON 3660r Topics in Individual and Global Citizenship
2. May select up to two of the following Experiential Learning courses (no minimum # of credit hours):
Honors Experience Summary
*UHON 1010 is 6 hours of course credit, with 3 hours counting as General Education: Rhetoric and Writing; and 3 hours counting as General Education: Literature.
**UHON 1020 is 6 hours of course credit, with 6 hours counting as General Education: Rhetoric and Writing; and 3 hours counting as General Education: Thought, Values, Beliefs.
The remaining 28-29 hours of General Education requirements may be fulfilled through the General Education Honors Seminars, or through non-honors General Education courses.
Honors General Education Seminars are proposed annually by UTC faculty members and selected by the Honors College Advisory Committee for inclusion in the following year's class schedule. The seminars selected will then be developed carefully and collaboratively to ensure fulfillment of General Education learning outcomes.
Learn more about Honors General Education Seminars →
Honors Experience Summary →
Brock Scholars also complete an honors thesis (4 hours) — either a Departmental Honors Thesis in the major (departmental course 4995) or an interdisciplinary thesis on the College level (UHON 4995).
Learn more →