June 7 to July 17, 2021
Applications for the 2021 RET program are now closed.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions
Hamilton County teachers and UTC researchers work together on state of the art smart-city themed projects. Industry partners and student organization engage teachers during the summer and in the classroom during the school year.
Some of the benefits to participants:
- Develop relevant skills and knowledge on Project-Based Learning (PBL) design and implementation
- Gain research skills and practical knowledge of engineering principles related to smart city design
- Learn to recognize, and integrate into PBL module design, the STEM standards in the engineering fundamental underlying the research experiences.
- Augment the PBL design support during the summer RET research experience with ongoing coaching support in high school classrooms to help implement and refine PBL modules that are (i) aligned with the RET Site summer research experience, Tennessee state standards, and Next Generation Science Standards and (ii) meant for broader distribution across the district and via regional/national curriculum portals
- Stipend: $6500 (partially at the end of the summer and partially at the end of the year)
- Travel expenses (conference): $1910
- Material and supplies for implementation: $1500
Number of participating teachers this year: 10
Number of projects this year: 5
Program length: 6 summer weeks (following 3 orientation days). Plus academic-year follow up.
Research Areas (5 projects each year):
- CubeSat Research and STEM Education Platform
- Pavement Design for Smart Cities
- Additive Manufacturing
- Smart City Drones
- Electric Vehicle Charging Market (EVCM) Design and Operation
- Smart Green Motors for Smart Cities
- Voltage Stability for the Smart Grid
- Data analytics (health and fitness, crime statistics)
- Hamilton County Schools
- Branch Technology
- Student Chapter, National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Student Chapter, Society of Women in Engineering (SWE)
Dr. Raga Ahmed
Associate Professor Electrical Engineering
Email: [email protected]