Calculus Prep Camp 2020
Tuesday, July 21, 2020 – Friday, July 31, 2020
Application & payment deadline: Friday, July 10th at 5:00pm
What is Calculus Prep Camp?
- This is an 11-day program that reinforces algebra and pre-calculus concepts needed to be successful in Calculus I (Math 1950) for students who have a Math ACT score of 26 or higher and a major that requires Math 1950.
- This program is a combination of lectures, small group interactions, practice and homework using computer-based software.
- The Math ACT score required for Math 1950 is 28. However, students who have a 26 or 27 can satisfy the prerequisite for Math 1950 by attending this camp and successfully passing an exit exam at the end of the program.
- This program does not provide college credit.
How can it help me?
If you do not have an ACT Math score of 28 or higher, then you must pass Math 1720 with a C or better to enroll in Math 1950. This program gives students with a Math ACT score of 26 or 27 an opportunity to prepare for and pass an exam that will allow you to enroll in Math 1950 without having to complete (and pay for) any additional pre-calculus courses.
This program is also highly encouraged for students who do have a Math ACT score of 28 or higher. Students often forget many of the algebra and pre-calculus skills that are necessary to be successful in calculus, so they struggle to pass the course due to a weak foundation even if they have a solid understanding of the calculus concepts. It can be very frustrating to understand and complete the calculus part of a problem, but not get the right answer due to incorrect algebra! This program will give students a solid review of these skills – not only will the skills be fresh when you start calculus, but you will also leave the camp with an excellent resource of notes and examples to refer to as you need during your calculus course.
Who is eligible?
- Students must be admitted to the University, have an ACT Math score of 26 or higher, and have declared a major which requires Math 1950.
- Only students who complete the online application for Calculus Prep Camp are eligible. (The link to the online application is provided at the bottom of this page.)
- Space is limited to 60 students. Do not procrastinate with this decision or registration process.
Who will teach the during the program?
Calculus Prep Camp is taught by UTC Mathematics faculty. In fact, these are the same instructors who regularly teach the college algebra, precalculus, and calculus courses.
When is Calculus Prep Camp?
Dates: July 21 - July 31, 2020
Schedule: Tuesday, July 21: 2:00pm-6:30pm*
Wednesday, July 22 – Saturday, July 25: 9:00am-4:30pm
Sunday, July 26: 12:00pm-4:30pm
Monday, July 27 – Friday, July 31: 9:30am-4:30pm
The Calculus Prep Exit Exam will be proctored on Friday, July 31. Students who are not already registered for a Math 1950 course for the fall semester who pass the exam will be assisted with registration for a Math 1950 course after lunch on Friday.
Students are expected to be present on all days and during all sessions.
*The start time of 2:00 will allow students to participate in this program who are attending the freshman orientation session on July 20-21. If you are an incoming freshman and have registered for a different orientation and would like to switch to the July 20-21 session, you will have the opportunity to do so when you submit your Calculus Prep Camp application.
What is the cost?
Students will have the option to stay on campus or commute each day.
The fee is $125 for students who are commuting to campus, which includes:
- Instruction and custom instructional materials
- Access to online assignments and review videos
- Lunch each day beginning on Wednesday, July 22nd
- Dinner on Tuesday night at our pizza welcome party
- Pool night in the Arc
- Lookouts baseball game
- Assistance with registering for reserved spaces in Math 1950 for students who pass the exit exam that did not have the ACT Math pre-requisite
The fee for students who are staying on campus is $275, which includes all of the above, as well as:
- Dinner each night
- Housing in Stophel for Tuesday, August 21-Friday, July 31 (check out is 11am)
Students will be prompted to make a payment at the end of the application/registration survey. Payment must be received by Friday, July 10, at 5:00 PM ET.
What do I need to bring to class?
Required: Pencil(s), a 3-ring binder, and a notebook
Optional, but strongly recommended: Laptop computer
Detailed information will be sent to accepted students one week before the start of the program. You are encouraged to frequently check your UTC email.
When can I check into my room if staying on campus?
Students will be able to check into their dorms on August 21 at 8:00am.
Incoming freshmen may choose to attend the July 20-21 orientation session and those students may move into their dorm on Monday, July 20, at 8:00am. If you have already registered for orientation at another time, we can switch your orientation to July 22-23. Just choose the appropriate option when submitting your application for Calculus Prep Camp.
All students are required to be present for the first session at 2:00 PM on July 21, regardless of on- or off-campus housing.
What about meals?
- Students should plan to eat dinner on their own each morning before arriving for camp.
- Lunch will be provided for all students each day.
- Dinner will be provided each day for students staying on campus.
What about parking?
Students will receive a parking permit to allow them to park in general lots during the program.
How do I apply?
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY OPEN. PLEASE FOLLOW THE BELOW STEPS TO REGISTER FOR CALCULUS PREP CAMP.
- Click on the appropriate link below (based on your choice to commute to campus or stay on-campus) to start the application process.
- Choose "Add to Cart" to proceed to the Shopping Cart.
- On the Shopping Cart page, you will see a "summary" of your order with the program fee. However, you will not enter your payment information until the end. From the Shopping cart, choose "Proceed to Checkout." This will take you to the application where you will enter all of your contact information and other requested personal information.
- After filling out the application, you will choose "Log in" at the bottom of the page.
- This will open a payment page where you will be asked to choose your payment method (the options are listed as Credit Card or Invoice). You MUST choose credit card. Payment via invoice will not be accepted.
- Follow the instructions to complete your payment via credit card and submit your application.
All students must complete the online application. Please use the following links and complete all fields:
Application for students who will commute to campus (Program fee = $125) Coming Soon
Application for students who will stay on-campus (Program fee = $275) Coming Soon
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICY
- Cancellation requests must be made via email to Tracy-Hughes@utc.edu by 5pm, July 10th, or the entire program fee will be forfeited. Cancellations received by 5pm, July 10th, will receive a refund of the program fee, less a $25 administrative fee.
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga reserves the right to cancel the course due to low enrollment. If a course is canceled due to low enrollment, registration fees are refunded in full.
If you have questions with the registration/payment process or need additional information about the program, please contact:
Mrs. Heather Heinlein at 423-425-4545 or Heather-Heinlein@utc.edu or
Ms. Tracy Hughes via email: Tracy-Hughes@utc.edu