Air conditioning in Johnson Obear, Boling, West Campus, Lockmiller and Stagmaier:
2 pipe system, the entire building is set to either heating or cooling mode.
- While the controls on the unit have a heat/cool setting this will not change the temperature as that is controlled on a per building basis with the 2-pipe system.
- The changeover from heating to cooling or vice-versa is made manually (twice a year), and there is always the possibility that unusual weather patterns might cause some occupant discomfort.
- In the month of October, when winter starts to set in, the two-pipe system must be switched from cold water to hot water. If the weather changes and it warms up for a few days, the residents may become uncomfortable.
- In the month of April, when summer starts to set in, the two-pipe system must be switched from hot water to cold water. If a cold front comes through the residents may become uncomfortable.
- With our fluctuating Chattanooga weather we monitor the temperatures closely in October and April to determine the best time to switch the system.
- While weather is fluctuating, residents can turn the unit on/off or open/close a window to reach their desired temperature. A box fan may be helpful as well.