International Business Experience
Cross-Culture Management in South Africa for Fall 2019
Dates (Tentative): December 12-19, 2019
Course Meeting Times
Study trip dates listed above and a couple of sessions before the trip.
- Undergraduate Business Students- 3 credit-hour course (MGT 4950) that satisfies international course requirement for business majors.
- Graduate Business Students- 3-credit hour course (MGT 5950) that counts as MBA General Track or MAcc General Track elective.
- Students Outside of the Rollins College of Business- Graduate students sign up for MGT 5950 and undergraduate students sign up for MGT 4950. Check with your major advisor for more information about how this course could count towards your major or program's curriculum requirements. If your advisor or graduate coordinator needs a copy of the course syllabus, contact COBInternational@utc.edu.
This course focuses on creating an appreciation of the complexities of operating a business in a foreign context and understanding the economic, political, cultural, and social factors at the international level. This course provides students with a trly real-world experience in international business, where they will gain an understanding of other cultures and learn the challenges and opportunities of doing business outside the United State. Students also will participate in business visits and discussions with international business leaders and professors while sharing in a different and unforgettable cultural experience. International travel required.
*No prior business coursework required*
*No foreign language knowledge needed*
- Open to any major (business and non-business majors) with at least junior standing
- 2.5 minimum GPA
- Open to students from any program (business or non-business)
- 3.0 minimum GPA
Business, University and Cultural Tours (tentative)
Includes the following in Cape Town, South Africa:
- Business visits
- Cultural experiences (e.g. isiXhosa language & culture lesson, Cape Malay cooking class, meeting & discussion with U.S. ex-pat living in Cape Town)
- Cultural tours (e.g. visits to and/or tours of Slave Lodge & District Six Museum, Hout Bay Night Market, Old Biscuit Mill, Lion's Head, Robben Island, & Cape Peninsula favorites such as Chapman's Peak, Boulder's Beach, & Cape Point).
- Optional trip add-on/extension to either 1) Aquila Game Reserve or 2) Johannesburg. Course instructor will select one trip add-on based on student demand. Interested students will pay the extra costs associated with trip add-on.
- Program fee (TBA): covers lodging, breakfasts and lunches, local transportation, tour guide, tours and associated admission fees
- Airfare (estimated $1500 from Atlanta)
- Cost of three-hour credit business course
- Financial aid can be used to help pay these related course costs. In addition, eligible students may be able to apply for scholarships to assist with the cost of the course.
- Rollins College of Business International Programs Office- COBInternational@utc.edu
- Course instructor- Katherine-Karl@utc.edu
Submit an Application to Be Considered for this Course: Application
Priority Application Deadline: April 26, 2019 (Applications will be accepted beyond this date as long as space allows)
Comments from Previous International Business Experience Students
- “It’s the best way to get a better global understanding of business abroad. The experience was invaluable by adding practicality to theory. Besides the educational benefits, it’s just fun. The whole time you don’t know you are learning”.
- "My overall experience has affected me in profound and lasting ways. I have become more culturally aware & better equipped with interpersonal skills, which will allow me to form stronger relationships with people from all backgrounds"
Study Trip Schedule (subject to change)
Free Day to Explore Cape Town or Surrounding Area
Transfer to the airport for return flights home or stay for an optional program add-on.* See below.
|Optional Add-On (Extra Charge Applied)||
For those wanting to extend their trip, they may pay to add on a post-study trip excursion. Based on student interest, the course instructor will select one of the following as the optional add-on for the class:
1. Aquila Game Reserve Excursion (Add-on Option 1)
Set in the pristine Southern Karoo Highlands against a backdrop of dramatic mountains, the Aquila Private Game Reserve offers an exciting taste of real Africa just two hours from Cape Town. Aquila is home to an enormous variety of game, including the Big 5- elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, & leopard.
2. Johannesburg Excursion (Add-On Option 2)
Students will learn about the history of Soweto, arguably South Africa's most famous township. The morning is spent visiting sites of historical significance including Mandela House & the Apartheid Museum, the pre-eminent museum dealing with 20th century South Africa, at the heart of which is the apartheid story.
With plenty of fun activities for the outdoor enthusiast, Bakgatla Resort is an ideal base from which to explore the diverse wildlife and wonders of the spectacular Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Activities on offer include daily Big 5 game drives, self-guided walking trails, bird watching, and access to ever-popular sites like Mankwe Dam and Thabayadiotso, also known as Proud Mountain.