What is the Step Ahead Math (SAM) Program?
- This is a 9-day program that reinforces basic math and algebra skills needed to enter a college-level math course, such as College Algebra or Pre-Calculus I.
- This program is a combination of lectures, small group interactions, practice and homework using computer-based software, and tutoring.
- This program requires students to complete an exit exam at the end of the course. The exam will determine whether a student is eligible to register into specific, college-level math courses at UTC. These courses include: Math 1130 and 2150.
- This program does not provide college credit.
How can it help me?
If you do not have an ACT Math score of 19, then you will not be able to enroll in MATH 1130 or MATH 2150. You have three choices: Retake the ACT, attend a community college and pass one or more developmental math courses with at least a C, or successfully complete the Step Ahead Math program.
Successful completion of the 9-day, Step Ahead Math (SAM) program means that you must pass the SAM Exit Exam. If you pass the exit exam, then you will be allowed to enroll in College Algebra (MATH 1130) or Math for Elementary & Middle School Teachers I (MATH 2150).
In other words, passing the SAM exit exam allows you register in a college level math course during your first semester at UTC, even if your ACT Math score is below the prerequisite requirement score of 19. SAM saves you time and money. However, it’s important to note that the SAM program is challenging and will require commitment, sacrifice, and work within those 9 days.
Who is eligible?
- Only students who complete the online application for Step Ahead Math are eligible. (The link to the online application is provided at the bottom of this page.)
- Priority registration is given to incoming freshmen with ACT Math scores below 19.
- Registration and payment confirmation is required before Friday, July 26 at 5:00 PM ET.
- Incoming freshman with ACT Math scores between 19-21 and returning/transfer students with ACT Math scores below 19 are also eligible.
- Space is limited. Do not procrastinate with this decision or registration process.
- The first 200 students who meet the criteria and submit a Step Ahead Math application
Who will teach the SAM program?
SAM is taught by UTC Mathematics faculty. In fact, these are the same instructors who regularly teach College Algebra and Math for Elementary & High School Teachers I.
When is the SAM Program?
Dates: August 7 - August 15, 2024
Times: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
The SAM Exit Exam will be proctored on Thursday, August 15, 2024.
Students are expected to be present on all days and during all sessions.
What happens if I pass the SAM Exit Exam?
Students who pass the Exit Exam will be eligible to register for Math 1130 or Math 2150. Since these courses are in high demand and fill up quickly, spaces have been reserved in several sections of each course for Step Ahead students. After the exit exams have been graded, Step Ahead students will return to the Math Department to find out if they passed the exam. The Step Ahead faculty will then assist all passing students in registering for a Math 1130 or Math 2150 course for the Fall semester.
What is the cost?
The program fee is $95. Students with assigned dorm rooms for the fall semester will be allowed to check in early. (See below.) All students are responsible for their own meals. (See below.)
Students will be prompted to make a payment at the end of the application/registration survey. Payment must be received by Friday, July 26 at 5:00 PM ET.
What do I need to bring to class?
Required: Pencil(s), a 3-ring binder, and a notebook
Optional, but strongly recommended: Laptop computer
Detailed information will be sent approximately two weeks before the camp to accepted students. You are encouraged to frequently check your UTC email.
When can I check into my dorm room?
Students with assigned dorm rooms for the Fall semester (other than Stophel) will be able to check into their dorms on August 7 at 9:00 AM.
Students who do not have a campus housing assignment must commute from home or make their own arrangements for a place to stay during Step Ahead Math.
All students are required to be present for the first session at 12:30 PM on August 7, regardless of on- or off-campus housing.
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will be active sometime during the week of Aug. 12, 2024.
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival.
- Scrappy Cash (cash amounts) may be added to your Mocs Card ID card via GET for food purchases prior to meal plan activation.
- Food court and Crossroads hours will be posted when they have been determined.
What about parking?
Students will receive a parking permit to allow them to park in general lots during the program.
How do I apply?
REGISTRATION FOR STEP AHEAD 2024 COMING SOON
All students must complete the online application. Please use the following link and complete all fields:
Step Ahead 2023 Application
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICY
- Cancellation requests must be made via email to [email protected] by 5pm, July 26, or the entire program fee will be forfeited. Cancellations received by 5pm, July 26, will receive a refund of the program fee, less a $25 administrative fee.
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga reserves the right to cancel the course due to low enrollment. If a course is canceled due to low enrollment, registration fees are refunded in full.
If you have questions with the registration/payment process or need additional information about the program, please contact:
Ms. Deborah Barr at 423-425-4545 or [email protected] or
Ms. Tracy Hughes via email: [email protected]