How to Get Help

Too many options? Not sure what to do?

Contact Emily Rosenquist, Assistant Director of the Center for Women and Gender Equity (; 423-425-5648. Emily is UTC's primary victim advocate and can provide details about available options and resources. Emily is a limited-confidential resource, and identifying information will not be provided to the University. Survivor Advocacy Services is available during University business hours (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday).

Contact the Partnership Rape Crisis and Family Violence Center's 24-hour hotline at 423-755-2700. The Partnership can provide tools, resources and emergency help. The Partnership's services are completely confidential.

Step 1: Get Safe

If you are on campus and feel you are in immediate danger, or you are afraid that you will be hurt again, contact UTC's Police Department at 423-425-HELP/4357 or dial 911 from a campus phone. If you are off campus, please dial 911.

You can also call a friend or a 24-hour crisis hotline (Partnership Rape Crisis and Family Violence Center: 423-755-2700) for support and assistance with decision-making.

Visit our resources page for a full list of on and off campus resources and support.

Step 2: Get Medical Attention

On Campus Medical Provider

University Health Services

  • Location: Maclellan Gym, Room 205
  • Phone: 423-425-2266

The staff of University Health Services (UHS) seeks to give every student, faculty and staff member optimum healthcare. Services include visits for acute and chronic illnesses, physical exams, screenings, immunizations, lab services, TB skin testing and allergy shots.

Off Campus Medical Provider of Sexual Assault Exams

Partnership Rape Crisis and Family Violence Center

  • Phone: 423-755-2700 (available 24/7)

Sexual assault survivors have the option – and are encouraged to – have evidence collected and preserved by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). In the City of Chattanooga, all SANE exams are conducted at the Partnership Rape Crisis and Family Violence Center.

SANE exams can be conducted within 120 hours of an assault. During the exam, the SANE nurse will collect evidence that may be on your body or on your clothes. If you think you might want an exam, it is recommended that you not shower, bathe, change clothes or go to the bathroom prior to the exam. Exams are offered at no cost.

Evidence collected during a SANE exam can be used if you later choose to report the incident to the police, but individuals who have a SANE exam are under no obligation to report.

Step 3: Get Support

Mental and emotional well-being is often compromised after experiencing a traumatic event. Reaching out to people who can support you is an essential part of healing and recovery. It is never too early or too late to seek support.

Emergency academic and housing assistance is an important form of support, and is available through Emily Rosenquist, Assistant Director of the Center for Women and Gender Equity (; 423-425-5648. Ongoing academic and other assistance is available through Megan McKnight, Assistant Director for Education and Prevention (; 423-425-5265. Individuals may also choose to contact Stephanie Rowland, Title IX Coordinator (; 423-425-4255.

Confidential Support Options

The below resources are only confidential when the reporter is a patient or client of the resource, and the communication is received in the patient/client capacity.

Survivor Advocacy Services*

  • This option is available for faculty, staff and students.
  • Location: 118 Lupton Hall (located within the Center for Women and Gender Equity)
  • Phone: 423-425-5648 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)

Counseling Center

  • This option is available for students only.
  • Location: 338 University Center
  • Phone: 423-425-4438 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.);
    • Emergency/crisis help: (423) 425-CARE/2273; select option 4 for the counselor on-call

University Health Services

  • This option is available for faculty, staff and students.
  • Location: Maclellan Gym, Room 205
  • Phone: 423-425-2266

*Staff members acting as advocates through Survivor Advocacy Services have limited confidentiality. That means that they are required to report general information about incidents of sexual misconduct, relationship violence and stalking, including the type of incident and the date, time, and general location of the incident. Personally-identifiable information, including the name of the person who reported experiencing violence, will not be reported to the University.

Non-Confidential Support Options

Megan McKnight, Assistant Director for Education and Prevention

Stephanie W. Rowland, Title IX Coordinator

Step 4: Consider Reporting

Reports can be made in various ways, including online or in person to Stephanie Rowland, Title IX Coordinator (; 423-425-4255. Individuals are also encouraged to report incidents to law enforcement by contacting UTC's police department at 423-425-HELP (4357). For other reporting options, please visit How Do I Report?

Please remember that making a report does not automatically mean pressing criminal charges or deciding to go through campus investigation proceedings. Complainants are able to access support even if they choose not to make a report or file a formal complaint. 

 Step 5: Consider Filing a Formal Complaint

When the University receives a report, the Title IX Coordinator will reach out to the Complainant and offer supportive mesures and resources, and explain the process for filing a formal complaint.  A formal complaint is required for the University to begin an investigation process, and must be filed by the Complainant or, in very limited circumstances, by the Title IX Coordinator. 

A formal complaint is a written document, signed and filed by the Complainant or the Title IX Coordinator. The complaint document should include as much information as is known, including but not limited to the following:

  • Complainant's name; 
  • Respondent's name;
  • Location of the incident;
  • Date and time of the incident; and 
  • A description of the prohibited conduct.  

Please contact the Title IX Coordinator at (423) 425-4255 or at for information about and help with filing a formal complaint.