As an employee of The University of Tennessee, if you have an accidental injury while working at your job, or develop an occupational illness because of your job, you may be covered by the Workers' Compensation Program for the State of Tennessee.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AS PROCEDURES HAVE CHANGED.
1. If a person is seriously ill or injured and needs immediate attention you should dial 9-1-1 or extension 4357 (HELP). Once appropriate assistance is on the way you should immediately contact Kendra Biggs, Sr HR Generalist, at 425-4753 or Human Resources at 425-4221.
2. All work-related personal injuries or illnesses must be reported immediately to your supervisor. In the event of an emergency the injured employee should be taken to the nearest hospital emergency room. If the situation is NOT an emergency, the incident must be reported by phone to CorVel's 24-hour Nurse Line at 1-866-245-8588, option # 1, and the Nurse Line staff will help with assessment of the injury and directions to an authorized workers' comp doctor.
3. You and your supervisor must report the incident/accident/injury to CorVel within 7 calendar days to avoid a financial penalty assessed by the State to your department. After reporting to CorVel, phone Kendra Biggs at 425-4753 or Human Resources at 425-4221.
5. Complete and sign an Incident Report and give to your supervisor for completion.
6. If you are off work for over a week, it is the employee's responsibility to keep your supervisor and Human Resources informed of your return to work status. Upon your return to work, inform Kendra Biggs as soon as possible. Read UT Human Resources Policy 397: Workers' Compensation.
7. You must stay in the CorVel network of providers. If an unauthorized provider is used, the employee will be responsible for payment of bills. Phone CorVel at 1-866-245-8588 for any referrals to other providers, treatments, or durable equipment.
8. Prescriptions may be filled at any CVS or Walgreens by identifying it as a Workers' Compensation claim. Other pharmacies included in the network may be found by phoning Cypress Care at 1-800-419-7191. Take this form with you when filling a prescription.
9. If you need treatment at a later date, phone Kendra Biggs or Human Resources before seeking medical treatment.
updated November 29, 2017
Insurance Guidelines for leave without pay due to Workers' Compensation
If an employee is placed on leave of absence without pay as a result of an on-the-job injury, the University will provide the monthly premium for the employee's health insurance coverage. The University will continue to provide the monthly premium for health coverage as long as the employee is receiving a temporary lost disability payment from the State of TN Workers Compensation Administrator. However, it is the employee's responsibility to provide the premium payment for all optional coverage (dental, life, disability). The University will NOT send a billing for the premiums and it is the employee's responsibility to provide the premium payment by the 10th of each calendar month.
updated November 29, 2017