How can you be proactive about your college success?
One of the best ways is to evaluate your strategies for learning and understand how you learn most effectively. Memorization may have served you well in high school, but it will not be sufficient at UTC. We want to help you understand what techniques for learning will empower your success in science. How are we planning to do this?
How to Learn Chemistry, CHEM 1999r CRN 44846, Offered Fall 2023 Term 1 Course
How to Learn Chemistry, CHEM 1999r CRN 25599, Offered Spring 2024 Term 1 Course
This elective on campus course, CHEM 1999r CRN 25599, is designed to teach growth mindset strategies that empower students to succeed in chemistry and other college-level courses. You will earn 1 credit hour (S/NC) chemistry elective. The textbook for the course is Teach Yourself How to Learn by McGuire and McGuire
What types of activities will the program contain?
- You will meet once a week, either on Tuesday afternoons on campus to engage with the course material and interact with your peers.
- There will be weekly modules that you complete asynchronously online in Canvas.
- Tools for improving your learning strategies are presented and you select which tools will support your success.
- Introductory chemistry concepts will be shared to help you apply your new strategies to actual content.
- Assignments will include discussion boards, self-reflection, content quizzes, and chemistry learning activities.
What will you gain from the experience?
- A deeper understanding of your personal learning strengths
- Tools to be a successful learner in college, and
- Connections to Principles of General Chemistry or General Chemistry I at UTC
To REGISTER for CHEM 1999r CRN 25599, How to Learn Chemistry:
- First you need permission from an Academic Advisor or the Department to obtain an Override to enroll in this course. You must already be enrolled in CHEM 1050 or CHEM 1110 to take this class.
- Access registration through MyMocsNet by navigating to the search bar and searching for the Registration tool. When you interact with the tool, you will be redirected to the UTC self-service banner system (SSBS).
- Log into the SSBS with your UTC credentials.
- Click on the "Register for Classes" pane in the SSBS home dashboard.
- Select the “Enter CRN Tab” and enter CRN 425599.
- After entering the CRN, click "Add to Summary" and the entered CRN will be added to your schedule as pending courses.
- Finally, press the gray "Submit" button located in the bottom-right corner of your course schedule. The course will then successfully be added to your schedule if it is available.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Keenan Dungey, [email protected].