As part of our program's curricular requirements, all UTC I-O psychology students complete at least 300 hours of supervised work experience in an I-O related capacity. This opportunity to apply what is being learned in the classroom to actual work situations benefits our students tremendously. Here are some examples of real and recent practicum projects:
- Job/work analysis and job description updating; identifying essential job functions
- Design/implementation/evaluation of workforce training programs; program delivery; policy development
- Survey design and administration; exit/stay interviews; customer satisfaction reviews
- Development and administration of performance evaluation and management systems/programs
- Assessment validation and evaluation;
- Recruitment and retention planning
- Organizational development/change management projects
These projects are clearly valuable for the students, but they are also truly valuable for the organizations in which these students work. The UTC I-O Psychology practicum program benefits local, regional, and national employers in many ways. Through this practicum program, organizations have direct access to top-notch students and developing professionals with an interest in applying I-O psychological science and best-practice to the challenges organizations face in any industry. Due to the stringent admission requirements, program reputation, and challenging curriculum in our program, our students are exceptionally motivated, knowledgeable, and skilled. This all translates into major benefits for organizations, including the following:
- Professional quality work at a fraction of the cost of a full-time consultant
- Opportunity to review the work quality and performance of potential future candidates for employment in your own work environment
- Completion of important organizational projects for which there has been insufficient time or skilled personnel
- Qualified and experienced faculty to support students as they tackle important projects for your organization
The organizations employing our students as interns are very satisfied; most internships are repeated commitments, year after year. As an illustration of why this is so, consider this quote from a recent internship supervisor (Summer 2018):
"It was great having [student] join our team in Dallas for the summer. She helped us analyze the effectiveness of our flagship leadership development program, and because of her we’ve overhauled some of our evaluation processes. You all are doing something right with the program, because she hit the ground running here and added value quickly."
If you are an employer looking to recruit from the UTC I-O program, please contact Dr. Chris Cunningham directly at [email protected] to discuss your needs. We can easily connect you to our highly skilled current students and our massive alumni network.