The UTC English Department invites submission to the Rhetoric and Professional Writing Award for the best project for an undergraduate rhetoric and professional writing course at UTC during the current or previous calendar year (spring, summer, or fall terms. We announce winners at the English Department Banquet held each spring.
A three-member faculty committee will select the winner via blind review. The winning project receives $500 and recognition at the English Department Banquet held each spring. If the winning project is collaborative, the $500 prize will be split evenly between all contributors.
This award is open to all undergraduate students enrolled at UTC, regardless of major. The due date to apply is 11:59p ET on the Friday before Spring Break, which is Fri., March 8 for Spring 2024.
For consideration, your project (which could be individual or collaborative) should be:
- 5-15 pages long (or equivalent effort made on a non-essay project)
- If you have questions about if your project meets this criteria, please speak to your RPW professor
- a project that uses core ideas and methods from rhetoric and professional writing
- prepared for a UTC Rhetoric and Professional Writing course at the 2000-level or above
- written for a UTC Rhetoric and Professional Writing course taught during the current or previous calendar year (spring, summer, or fall terms)
STEP 1: Prepare your submission as a single Word or PDF file, remove your name(s) from the document, and label your file like this: RPW AWARD-PROJECT Title. Don't include your name.
STEP 2: Write a one-page cover letter reflecting on how your project uses core ideas from rhetoric and professional writing to achieve your goals.
STEP 3: Sign into your UTC email account or a personal Google account, then complete and submit this form. If you experience difficulty uploading your submission, email Dr. Jennifer Beech.