VA Work-Study Allowance Program

Veteran Student Services is honored to be participating in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Student Work-Study Allowance Program, which offers an additional allowance to students performing VA-related work. 

Work Study Program Details

If you're a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree, vocational, or professional program, you can “earn while you learn” with a VA work-study allowance.

Who is Eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training on a full-time or ¾ time basis under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®—(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill®Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program—(38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

How Much May I Earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. 

What Type of Work May I Do?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work.

How Do I Apply?

  1. Interested students must submit a Veteran Student Services Employee Application found here.
  2. Applications will be evaluated and candidates will be selected throughout the year as needed to fill vacancies.

For more information, visit VA Student Work-Study Allowance Program on the VA website.

Any questions or concerns regarding Veteran Student Services Work Study, contact 423-425-4663 or

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at