The Tennessee STRONG (Support, Training and Renewing Opportunity for National Guardsmen) Reimbursement Act provides eligible members of the Tennessee National Guard tuition funding* toward a first-time bachelor's degree for the next four years through a tuition reimbursement program.
*Funding is a reimbursement - Plan to utilize other funding types as funds are not received within the same term. Please plan to pay end of term balance with other funding (loans, grants, TA, etc.) and then be reimbursed up to the amounts authorized by the military ESO.
The STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for those who protect and serve the state and country and supports Tennessee's Drive to 55 initiative and its goal of 55 percent of Tennesseans with a post-secondary by 2025.
- Reimbursement for up to 120 credit hours or eight semesters
- Applies to the pursuit of an associate’s or first bachelor’s degree
- Eligible National Guard members can apply upon successful completion of basic training
Application Packet →
Student Step-by-Step Guide
- Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance, if eligible.
- Submit a copy of your completed TN STRONG ACT Packet to UTC VMA every semester you intend to use the benefit to [email protected].
- We will attempt to submit the completed application packet to the State Tuition Assistance Manager to obtain preliminary acceptance letter(s). We advise student's to verify acceptance with the National Guard.
- After the semester ends, VMA will send final transcript and itemized bill to State Tuition Assistance Manager which all student's are copied on the correspondence. Please ensure receipt with the National Guard.
- Once approved and processed by the State Military ESO, the State sends reimbursement payment to UTC Bursars Office. Est. Time of Receipt Varies but plan for up to 60-90 days for reimbursement to be submitted to your student account.
- Repeat process every semester you intend to use TN STRONG Act Reimbursement.
Documents and Information
If you need additional assistance, contact Veteran and Military Affairs.