Military Student Advisory Council
In keeping with our mission to support and enhance the journey of our veteran and military family member students here at UTC, VSS understands that connection and communication are vital to success and growth. The mission of this council will be to address the needs and concerns of our veteran students from a campus-wide perspective, develop veteran liaisons with all student support service areas, and ensure that veteran students have a smooth transition from the military to campus with the necessary support and resources in place to promote academic excellence throughout their time here at UTC and beyond. This council is an opportunity to connect the greater Chattanooga community, alumni veterans, current student veterans, UTC staff, faculty, and administration and unite with one goal in mind: student veteran support and what we want that to look like at UTC.
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with the local community and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
Squoia Holmes - Co-Chair, Assistant Director of Veteran Student Services
Linda Hinkle - Co-Chair, Coordinator of Veteran Student Services
Tara Mathis - Director of Veteran Student Services and Multicultural Affairs
Yancy Freeman - Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
Jim Hicks - Dean of Students
Haley Sebastian - Student Veteran Organization President
Jordan Case - Student Veteran Organization Vice President
Scottie Thomas - Student Veteran Member
Hannah Turcotte - Coordinator for Student Engagement
Laura Petrus - Assistant Director for Student Engagement
Carrie Sherbesman - Director of New Student & Family Programs
Daryl Walsh - Faculty Member
John Harbison - Faculty Member
Major Beavers - Department Head of Military Science
Courtland Leamon - Instructor in Military Science
Amy Davis - Director of the MOCS One Center
Malerie Thompson - Assistant Director of the MOCS One Center
Robert Lidell - Director of Center for Career and Leadership Development
Elizabeth Johnson - Director of the Center for Academic Support and Advisement
Elizabeth O'Brien - Executive Director for Counseling Center
Kelly Drake - Associate Director for Counseling Center
Michelle Rigler - Executive Director in Disability Resource Center and Mosaic
Joshua Mason - Access Coordinator in Disability Resource Center and Mosiac
General B.B. Bell - Veteran Alum Member
Mickey McCammish - Veteran Community and Alum Member
Stephanie Orr - Assistant Director for Undergraduate Admissions
Cindy Taylor Williamson - Director of Assessment and SACSCOC Liaison, Office of Planning, Evaluation & Institutional Research
Gregg Crawford - Veteran Education CoordinatorforTennessee Department of Veterans Services