Program Application Information
Formal Admission Process
Upon admission to UTC, students are notified of their academic advisor and are encouraged to meet with her/him to discuss the criteria and procedures for formal admission to the BSW program. The process and criteria include:
- Be admitted to UTC.
- Complete the application to the UTC Social Work Program.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a social work major Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 scale in all pre-Social Work courses (SOCW 1100, and SOCW 2070 or THSP 1090).
- Earn a minimum grade of "C" in the following pre-social work courses: SOCW 1100, SOCW 2010, and SOCW 2070.
- Complete the following cognate courses with a passing grade: POLS 1010, PSY 1010, and ANTH 1200 or ECON 1010.
After satisfactory completion of the above requirements, the student will receive a letter fro the Social Work Department Head notifying him/her of formal acceptance into the Social Work Program. The Social Work Department Head will send an official memo to the University Registrar's office with a list of students approved for formal acceptance into the program. The Registrar's office will then change the student's status from Pre-Social Work major to BSW degree-seeking major.
Students wishing to transfer to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Social Work Program from another accredited college or university must first apply to and be accepted to UTC. Once accepted to UTC, students will then follow the application process to be admitted to the UTC BSW program. Transfer social work majors will have their transcripts evaluated by their assigned advisor in the Social Work Program as well as by the University Registrar. Credit will be granted for courses that are comparable to University of Tennessee at Chattanooga course and for which the student has earned a grade of "C" or better.
Students currently/previously enrolled at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga who are choosing to transfer to the Social Work Program will have their transcripts reviewed by an advisor in the Social Work Program and will discuss the reason(s) for the transfer.
Students are admitted into the Social Work Program from more than one source, including as a first year student, an external transfer student, or an internal transfer student. Students are accepted based on a competitive evaluation of their applications by the UTC Admissions Office and Social Work Faculty.