The following requirements must be completed for admission to the UTC Graduate School to be granted. Should the outcome of either of the below be unfavorable (i.e., positive drug screen or significant findings on the background check), then your offer of admission may be rescinded. I recommend completing these requirements as soon as possible to avoid any delay in your admission to the UTC Graduate School. The requirements are listed below with brief instructions for how/where to obtain them.
Criminal Background Check
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requires verification of competency of all individuals who have direct contact with patients or employees; this includes students doing clinical rotations in a healthcare facility. Competency extends beyond technical skills to an individual’s criminal history.
You are responsible for the cost of the criminal background check - approximately $65.00.
- Go to: http://www.verifiedcredentials.com. Under the "Links" tab on the lower right-hand corner, click on the button labeled “Student Background Checks.”
- Enter the code BBVTR-28773
- Create an account, enter all required information, provide supporting documentation, track your progress
- The GATP will automatically receive a report, indicating your status. The only information the GATP will receive is a color-coded rating affiliated with the student’s name. The rating system is as follows:
- Green: no problems
- Yellow: student must get clearance from the criminal background check organization; It is the student’s responsibility to clear their record. Until your record is cleared, you will not be allowed to be placed in a clinical site that has the JCAHO requirement.
- Red: student cannot participate in a clinical education experience that has a JCAHO requirement for criminal background checks.
- 12-Panel Drug Screening
UTC Graduate Athletic Training Program (GATP) is committed to providing a safe workplace for all students, preceptors, and their patients. Accordingly, the GATP requires that all students have a negative 12-panel drug screen prior to beginning of clinical rotations. All screenings are to be completed at the student’s expense.
- Students may obtain the drug screen at any lab, but must obtain a urine-based screen that assesses for the following:
Marijuana, opiates, cocaine, PCP, amphetamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, methaqualone, methadone, oxycodone, propoxyphene, ecstasy
- Documentation must be provided via a scanned copy of the screening results, indicating the date of the test, your name, and the results for each of the above substances. PDF file format is preferred and may be emailed to the program director at [email protected].
- Failure to provide screening results or the presence of a positive finding on any of the above substances will cause your admission to be rescinded by the program.
Once you have been accepted into the UTC-GATP, you must complete the Clinical Health and Liability form.
- Practicum Fee: $50.00 per semester
- NATA Student Membership fee: approximately $80.00 annually
- Personal Liability Insurance: $20-45.00 annually
- Professional Rescuer CPR/AED Certification: $30.00 one time
- Physical Exam: $25.00 one time
- 10-Panel Drug Screen: $20.00 one time
- TB Skin test: $10.00 annually
- Mask-fit testing: $15.00 annually
- Hospital Orientation Modules $10.00 annually
- Professional Poster printing (associated with HHP 5990) approximately $65 per poster plus shipping; one-time
- Annual South East Athletic Trainers’ Association Student Symposium $100 (strongly encouraged to attend, but not required)
- Flu Shot annually
- Clinical clothing (professional khaki pants/shorts)
- Text books