Student Outreach and Support
Important! If an individual is an immediate threat to self or others, it should be considered an emergency. Contact UTC Police Department (423) 425-HELP/4357 (if on-campus or location is unknown) or 911 (if off-campus).
To report urgent, non-emergency concerns or to reach the on-call counselor, call the UTCares line at (423) 425-CARE/2273.
If this is not an emergency and you would like to refer a student to our services, please submit a Community Member of Concern Referral Form.
The Office of Student Outreach & Support (SOS) provides case management, basic needs services, and general support for students experiencing a disruption to their normal academic studies due to physical or mental health concerns, personal or family concerns, and other issues that may arise. Supports include helping students navigate University administrative processes; connecting students with University and community resources; facilitating access to basic needs services including Scrappy’s Cupboard, the Denise and Tim Downey Student Emergency Fund, Short-Term Emergency Housing, and the Technology Loan Program; and management of the Off-Campus Student Services program. These services and support aim to help students develop resiliency, self-advocacy, and coping skills. In addition, SOS provides education, guidance, and support to faculty, staff, family members, and other community members regarding student-related concerns. This support includes how to work with students of concern, when to make referrals, and management of concerns regarding students who exhibit behavior that is worrisome to others or disruptive to the University community.
Who might benefit from these services?
Students facing any sort of challenge or crisis may benefit from the services provided by SOS. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Academic adjustment or performance
- Attempted suicide or thoughts of suicide
- Class and work absence notifications
- Death of a friend or family member
- Family emergency
- Financial insecurity
- Food insecurity
- Hate/bias-related incidents
- Housing insecurity or other issues
- Interpersonal violence or stalking
- Mental health concerns
- Missing or unresponsive student
- On and off-campus resource referrals
- Physical illness/injury/assault
- Pregnancy and parenting support
- General Support
What services are offered?
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Outreach and advocacy for student concerns
- Coordination of services with relevant University departments and programs.
- Referrals to on and off-campus resources
- Student Academic (Absence) Notifications
- Off-Campus Student Services
- Basic Needs Programs
- Scrappy’s Cupboard Food Pantry
- Denise & Tim Downey Student Emergency Fund
- Short-term Emergency Housing
- "Aunt Flow" feminine hygiene product program
- Education, guidance, and support for faculty, staff, family members, and other community members regarding student-related concerns
Questions? Contact Student Outreach & Support at (423) 425-2299 or [email protected].