Lip Sync is one of our biggest campus traditions of the Homecoming experience where student organizations perform show-stopping, energetic, and creative Lip Sync routines with hopes of earning the top spot!
- DATE & TIME: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, at 8:00 PM
- RUN-THROUGH DATE: Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at TBD
- VENUE: McKenzie Arena
- DIMENSIONS OF PERFORMANCE STAGE: 48’ wide by 24’ deep. Stage is 4’ off the ground, with stairs on each side. There will be a pipe & drape across the back of the stage.
- CHANGING THIS YEAR: In-between skits are allowed for a 1–2-minute duration (The total performance time (including time on and off stage) cannot exceed 5 minutes.). Prop boards or large-scale props will be allowed on stage or included in the production *large props must be approved in advance, and the Lip Sync committee has the right to deny certain props as they see fit*
- CONTINUING THIS YEAR: You can still use small handheld props. (ex. Things that are held in one hand.) Dancing is encouraged in your performance. MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU MUST LIP SYNC!
- THEME: Space! Groups are strongly encouraged to incorporate elements of UTC spirit that include but are not limited to the fight song, the Alma Mater, cheers and/or chants. The songs used must coincide with the set theme of your production and the overall Homecoming theme
- COORDINATORS’ CONTACTS: Crystal Maghoney: [email protected], Kennedy Beauford: [email protected]
Monday, April 17, 2023, at 8:00 AM: Registration form opens on MocSync.
August 25, 2023, at 11:59 PM: Registration form closes.
August 25, 2023, at 11:59 PM: A brief description of your group’s performance and list of song(s) is due to Kennedy Beauford and Crystal Maghoney via email. You will be notified if your list of song(s) needs to be altered, due to a repeated song or inappropriate content or language.
August 25, 2023: The final MP3 copy used in your organization's performance and a complete, final roster of participants and pre-show helpers must be submitted no later than this date.
RULES and SCORING
Songs are first-come, first-serve. To eliminate repeated songs, the first group to submit this form for a particular song gets to perform the song. No two organizations may use the same song with the exception of UTC spirit songs, such as the fight song, the Alma Mater, cheers and/or chants.
The total performance time (including time on and off stage) cannot exceed 5 minutes.
If your organization goes over the time limit, lights will be cut off after 5 minutes. Any show that exceeds the 5 minutes show limit will have an automatic 5-point deduction; if the performance reaches 5 minutes and 30 seconds there will be a 10-point deduction; and if the performance reaches 6 minutes the light will go off, music will stop, and there will be a 20-point deduction.
No confetti, water, glitter, or other similar items may be used during your performance whatsoever. If used, then your organization will be responsible for cleaning it up, and there will be a 25-point deduction. If these substances are found on any attendees or the auditorium floor, the backstage areas or in the designated organizational areas, the organization responsible will be charged a $500 cleaning fee.
Also, your organization may NOT throw items from the stage or from their seats.
No excessive stunting or tumbling. No tumbling passes can include a running start or more than one element. No person’s feet can be lifted above waist level. Stunting and tumbling beyond these rules are subject to disqualification or point deduction at the judge’s discretion and will not be up for reconsideration.
Performances must remain tasteful and not be vulgar or you may risk elimination or drastically reduced scores from the judges. The judge’s discretion will be used and will not be up for reconsideration.
The maximum number of TOTAL participants from your organization will be 25 per group. The maximum number of performers on the stage will be 15 people at one time. A 5-point deduction will be taken for every time each person over the limit appears on the stage. The minimum number of total participants from your organization is 5 members.
Only one group per organization will be allowed to enter the competition.
All participants must be members in good standing of the registered student organization and shown on the roster on MocSync.
If you or members of your organization break in, or trespass into McKenzie arena the week of Homecoming without a reservation or approval, you will be disqualified, and unable to perform at lip sync.
Each organization will get no more than 25 performance wristbands (backstage and floor access) for performers only.
During run-throughs, if you go over the allotted time, there will be a 10-point deduction.
You MUST clean up your all items from McKenzie Arena before we will announce who wins.
LIP SYNC JUDGING CRITERIA (100 points total)
All organizations participating in Lip Sync 2023 are judged the same. There will be no differentiation of judging despite what type of organization you are competing in.
- Creativity (20 points): This will be based on how original and creative you are for your performance.
- Enthusiasm & Energy (15 points): How much “life” is given in the performance?
- School Spirit/Theme (15 points): The emphasis placed on UTC spirit and the theme this year.
- Lip-Sync (20 points): Did the performers lip-sync to the lyrics of the song?
- Overall Performance (30 points): Overall impression of performance, creativity, school spirit, and adherence to the theme and rules.
DAY OF PREPARATIONS
Please submit all materials and questions to, Crystal Maghoney: [email protected], Kennedy Beauford: [email protected].