Homecoming Lip Sync
Lip Sync 2022!
Lip Sync is one of our biggest campus traditions of the Homecoming experience where student organizations perform show-stopping, energetic, and creative Lip Sync routines with hopes of earning the top spot!
Register Your Organization Now!
- DATE & TIME: Wednesday, September 14, 2022. Doors open 7:15 p.m., event begins 8 p.m.
- LOCATION: Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium, 399 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- RUN THROUGHS: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 4 p.m.
- REGISTRATION FORM: Due by 11:59 p.m. September 1 2022
- DIMENSIONS OF PERFORMANCE STAGE: 48’ wide by 24’ deep. Stage is 4’ off the ground, with stairs on each side. There will be pipe & drape across the back of the stage.
- CONTINUING THIS YEAR: Only dancing and lip syncing is allowed in this year’s performance. This means no in-between skits, prop boards or large-scale props will be allowed on stage or included in the production. You can still use small handheld props. (ex. Things that are held in one hand.) DON'T FORGET TO LIP SYNC!
- THEME: The theme of this year’s Homecoming is, "Under the C!" Groups are strongly encouraged to incorporate elements of UTC spirit that include but are not limited to the fight song, the Alma Mater, cheers and/or chants. The songs used must coincide with the set theme of your production and the overall Homecoming theme.
- August 1, 2022 at 8:00 am. Registration form on MocSync opens. Click here to access the form.
- September 1, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Registration form on MocSync must be submitted.
- September 6, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Your list of song(s) and theme for your organization’s performance, are due to CeCe Gragg via email.
- September 8, 2022 at 11:59 pm. You will find out if your song list needs to be altered, due to a repeated song or inappropriate content/language, no later than this date.
- September 12, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Your final MP3 copy to be used must be turned in to CeCe Gragg via email no later than this date as well as your final roster of participants and pre-show helpers. Failure to have a final copy of the music submitted, or submitting changes to the music after this point will result in an automatic disqualification. New MP3’s will not be accepted the day of the show. CD’s will not be accepted, only MP3 submissions.
RULES and SCORING
- Organizations must have completed the Registered Student Organization annual re-registration process before September 1, 2022 at 11:59 pm, to be considered an active organization and be able to participate in any Homecoming activity, including Lip Sync.
- Songs are first-come, first-serve. To eliminate repeated songs, the first group to submit this form for a particular song gets to perform the song. No two organizations may use the same song with the exception of UTC spirit songs, such as the fight song, the Alma Mater, cheers and/or chants.
- The total performance time (including time on and off stage) cannot exceed 5 minutes.
- If your organization goes over the time limit, lights will be cut off after 5 minutes. Any show that exceeds the 5 minutes show limit will have an automatic 5 point deduction; if performance reaches 5 minutes and 30 seconds there will be a 10 point deduction; and if the performance reaches 6 minutes the light will go off, music will stop, and there will be a 20 point deduction.
- Remember, this is a Lip Sync event and your organization will be judged accordingly.
- No confetti, water, glitter, or other similar items may be used during your performance Whatsoever if used, then your organization will be responsible for cleaning it up, and there will be a 25 point deduction.
- Also, your organization may NOT throw items from the stage or from their seats.
- No excessive stunting or tumbling. No tumbling passes can include a running start or more than one element. No person’s feet can be lifted above waist level. Stunting and tumbling beyond these rules are subject to disqualification or point deduction at the judge’s discretion and will not be up for reconsideration.
- Performances must remain tasteful and not be vulgar or you may risk elimination or drastically reduced scores from the judges. Judge’s discretion will be used and will not be up for reconsideration.
- The maximum number of TOTAL participants from your organization will be 25 per group. The maximum number of performers on the stage will be 15 people at one time. A 5 point deduction for every person over 15, every time it happens. The minimum number of total participants from your organization will be 5 per group.
- Only one group per organization will be allowed to enter the competition.
- All participants must be members in good standing of the registered student organization and shown on the roster on MocSync.
- If you or members of your organization break in, or trespass into McKenzie arena the week of Homecoming without a reservation or approval, you will be disqualified, and unable to perform at lip sync.
- Each organization will get no more than 25 performance wristbands (backstage and floor access), and 5 pre-show wristbands for extra assistance BEFORE the show begins. Pre-show bands will not be accepted after 8pm when the show starts.
- During run throughs, if you go over the allotted time, there will be a 10 point deduction.
- You MUST clean up your all items from the dance studio in McKenzie, before we will announce who wins.
- A roster of the final head count, to include both performers and those receiving pre-show wristbands, are due with the final copy of your music on September 6 at 11:59pm.
LIP SYNC JUDGING CRITERIA (100 points total)
- School Spirit/Theme (10 points): The emphasis placed on UTC and the theme this year.
- Creativity (20 points): This will be based on how original and creative you are for your performance.
- Enthusiasm & Energy (20 points): How much “life” is in your performance.
- Lip-Sync (20 points): Did the performers lip-sync to the song?
- Overall Performance (30 points): Overall impression of performance, creativity, school spirit and adherence to the theme and rules.
- The UTC Library has a studio, that can be used to edit song and make mashups of songs.
- If you need a space to practice in, please email CeCe Gragg at [email protected]
- For examples, checkout the UTC Lip Sync 2019 youtube playlist.