Equipment Pick Up & Drop off Hours
The equipment room is located in Lupton 218 and is open during the following hours during the Fall 2023 semester:
- Mondays: 12 noon - 5 pm
- Tuesdays: 11 am - 2 pm
- Wednesdays: 12 noon - 5 pm
- Thursdays: 11 am - 2 pm
- Fridays: 9 am - 1 pm
How to Check out Equipment
- To check out equipment your professor must first add you to Cheqroom. Professors will go over this in class, where appropriate.
- Review our inventory on Cheqroom to see when an individual piece of equipment is available for check out. You can sort through items using the categories listed below in the "available equipment" list.
- Make a reservation in Cheqroom for each piece of equipment needed. Equipment can only be picked up and returned during our equipment hours.
- Go to Lupton 218 at the start of your reservation to check out the equipment. If no one is available in Lupton 218, please check with: Ms. Poinson (Lupton 225), Dr Simmons (Lupton 227A), or Prof. Weeks (Lupton 229E)
- If equipment is not checked out on the day a reservation starts the reservation will be voided.
The Department of Communication provides a variety of video, photographic, and audio recording equipment for COMM students to use in class and to check out for use outside of class time. Much of this equipment was bought with COMM lab fees.
Wondering how to use the equipment once you check it out? Take a look at our Student Resources page.
- ZOOM H4n audio recorder (has internal microphones, can also use external microphones)
- unidirectional microphone
- shotgun microphone
- lavalier microphone
- Photo Lighting kit
- Video lighting kit
- Nikon cameras reserved for students in photojournalism classes - check out is for the entire semester (various models)
- Remaining Nikon cameras can be checked out on a shorter time frame
- Tripod for Photography
- Tripod for Video
- Canon DSLR for Video (Canon EOS 80d)
- Canon Professional Camcorder (XA11)
- Nikon DSLR for Video
- Cinema Lens in different sizes (for use with Canon DLSR cameras)
See Cheqroom for a full list of available equipment and full details about each item.
Equipment Loan Policy
I agree that The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga shall not be responsible for any personal injuries or damages to property as a result of use of said equipment.
The student agrees to return equipment as scheduled, in clean and proper working order (including charging used batteries for video cameras). The student agrees to provide repair and replacement of any and all equipment items in the event of damage and loss. Payment arrangements will be made on an individual-case basis. Failure of The student to meet or abide by payment terms may result in an academic hold on client’s College account, preventing registration, releasing of diplomas and transcripts.
The student is responsible for verifying the existence and operating condition of all equipment check out. Report any problems before leaving the media checkout room.
The student must report any known damage or equipment problems when checking in equipment. The student is responsible for the equipment until it is checked in.
The faculty in charge may cancel or amend any equipment request in whole or part at any time without notice.
- The student may not use UTC equipment for contract work.
- Unless otherwise permitted by the faculty in charge, all equipment is to be used for COMM academic use, Mocs News, and independent projects under faculty supervision.
The student needs to honor the specified check in times of equipment. The student will receive a $25 per day late charge for all equipment up to its replacement value.
In the event of an emergency, which may prevent the client from turning in the equipment, contact must be made with Dr Felicia McGhee (Felicia-McGhee, 423-425-4400).