Equipment Pick up & Drop off Hours - Fall 2020
The COMM Department has moved to Lupton Hall.
The equipment room is now located in Lupton 218.
Equipment can be checked out and returned:
- Monday - Friday 1pm - 5pm
Returning Spring 2020 Equipment
Did you check out equipment during the spring 2020 semester? We'd like to get the equipment back as soon as possible so the equipment can be used by students this fall.
Students Returing to Campus in the Fall 2020
If you live in the Chattanooga area, please bring your equipment to Lupton 218 during our first week of classes.
The equipment room is open Monday - Friday from 1-5pm (beginning August 17).
Students Not Returning to Campus in Fall 2020
If you will not be returning to campus in Fall 2020 and live outside the Chattanooga area, we still need to get the equipment back. Here's a few ideas for returning the equipment:
- If you plan on visiting Chattanooga in August or September, please bring the equipment with you and return it during your visit. If you will be in town during a time when we do not have regular drop off hours (like a weekend), please contact Dr. McGhee ([email protected]) to make arrangements for returning the equipment.
- Do you have a friend who is returning to Chattanooga in August? If yes, please give the equipment to your friend and ask them to return it for you.
- No plans to visit the area anytime soon? Please contact Dr. McGhee ([email protected]) to make arrangements for returning the equipment. Precautions will need to be taken to prevent the equipment from being damaged during shipping, so please contact us before returning equipment (plus we moved, so we have a new shipping address!)
The Department of Communication provides a variety of video, photographic, and audio recording equipment for COMM students to use in class and to check out for use outside of class time. Much of this equipment was bought with COMM lab fees.
Wondering how to use the equipment once you check it out? Take a look at our Student Resources page.
How to Check out Equipment
- To check out equipment your professor must first add you to Cheqroom. Professors will go over this in class, where appropriate.
- Review our inventory on Cheqroom to see when an individual piece of equipment is available for check out. You can sort through items using the categories listed below in the "available equipment" list.
- Make a reservation in Cheqroom for each piece of equipment needed. Equipment can only be picked up and returned during our equipment hours.
Audio recording booths can only be reserved for 30 minutes at a time.
Equipment that is in high demand or that we have limited quantities (including DSLR video camera, the video lighting kits, and boom poles) can only be reserved for 3 business days.
- Go to Lupton 218 at the start of your reservation to check out the equipment. If no one is available in Lupton 218, please check with: Ms. Poinson (Lupton 225), Dr. McGhee (Lupton 222), Dr McCluskey (Lupton 223), Dr Simmons (Lupton 227A), or Prof. Weeks (Lupton 229E)
- If equipment is not checked out on the day a reservation starts the reservation will be voided.
The following equipment is available for use by students enrolled in related COMM classes.
- ZOOM H4n audio recorder (has internal microphones, can also use external microphones) (40)
Audio Recorder Accessories
- AC Adapter for ZOOM (for use when power is available and batteries are a concern) (20)
- Windbuster for ZOOM (for use when recording outside with internal microphones and wind is a concern) (20)
Microphones - Unidirectional
- Shure unidirectional microphone (20)
- Starpower unidirectional microphone (9)
Microphones - Shotgun
- Audio-Technica shotgun microphone (20)
- Sennhesier shotgun microphone (for use with DSLR cameras) (3)
- Rode Videomic Pro (for use with DSLR cameras) (7)
Microphones - Lavalier
- Sony omni-direcitonal avalier with XLR connection (7)
- Tabletop microphone stand (can be used with unidirectional or shotgun microphones) (16)
- Microphone boom pole (for use with Audio-Technia shotgun microphones) (5)
- Photo flash (Speedlight SB-700) (12)
- Photo Lighting kit (each kits has 2 soft boxes and 2 light stands) (4)
- 8 foot light stand for use with flashes or lighting kits (4)
- Backdrop (black, gray, white) (2)
- Video lighting kit (Dracast S Series kit with 3 LED video lights and stands) (1) - 3 day check out limit
- Sony 5n mirrorless DSLR camera (shoots high quality still phones and HD video) (1)
- Cameras reserved for students in Photojournalism 1 for the entire semester (Nikon 3100, 3200, 3300)
- Cameras reserved for students in Photojournalism 2 for the entire semester (Nikon 3200, 3400)
- AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (8)
- AF Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 (7)
- Basic Tripod (SLIK U800 for use with Canon VIXIA video cameras) (35)
- Tripod for Photography (Manfrotto 290 extra or Manfrotto Compact Advanced) (7)
- Tripod for Video (Manfrotto MVK500AM for use with DSLR cameras) (8)
- Canon DSLR for Video (Canon EOS 80d with 18-55mm, good for use in video production) (14)
- Canon Professional Camcorder (XA11, good for video and film producation) (3)
- Nikon DSLR for Video (Nikon 5600 with 18-55mm & 70-300mm lens, good for use in video production) (5)
- Canon Basic Camcorder (VIXIA HF R600 , includes camera, microphone, and headphones) (32)
Video Camera Accessories
- Elvid Production Slate (4)
- Marantz DSLR Audio Interface (connect external microphones using XLR connections with a DSLR camera) (6)
- Recording rooms located in Lupton Hall (reserve time slot for use) - 30 minute time limit
- Whisper Room located in Metro Annex hallway (reserve time slot for use) - 30 minute time limit
Equipment Loan Policy
I agree that The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga shall not be responsible for any personal injuries or damages to property as a result of use of said equipment.
The student agrees to return equipment as scheduled, in clean and proper working order (including charging used batteries for video cameras). The student agrees to provide repair and replacement of any and all equipment items in the event of damage and loss. Payment arrangements will be made on an individual-case basis. Failure of The student to meet or abide by payment terms may result in an academic hold on client’s College account, preventing registration, releasing of diplomas and transcripts.
The student is responsible for verifying the existence and operating condition of all equipment check out. Report any problems before leaving the media checkout room.
The student must report any known damage or equipment problems when checking in equipment. The student is responsible for the equipment until it is checked in.
The faculty in charge may cancel or amend any equipment request in whole or part at any time without notice.
- The student may not use UTC equipment for contract work.
- Unless otherwise permitted by the faculty in charge, all equipment is to be used for COMM academic use, Mocs News, and independent projects under faculty supervision.
The student needs to honor the specified check in times of equipment. The student will receive a $25 per day late charge for all equipment up to its replacement value.
In the event of an emergency, which may prevent the client from turning in the equipment, contact must be made with Dr Felicia McGhee (Felicia-McGhee, 423-425-4400).