How to create and publish profile pages
The tutorial below will walk you through how to create and publish a profile page. A profile page should be created for every employee in your department. These are a great way to facilitate communication from others outside your department and an ideal way to share information about each employee's talents and role in the department and at the University. Feel free to take advantage of the this page to link to individual websites (sites employees maintain that contain content relating to their role at the University), individual social media sites, and vitae.
NOTE: All uploading and navigating involved in this tutorial occurs once you have logged in to OU campus. Be sure to begin your log in from your department’s homepage.
Collect the headshots
- Start by collecting all employee headshots.
- Resize the photos to 240 pixels wide by approximately 300 pixels tall.
- Save each photo using the employee’s UTCID; i.e. abc123.jpg or abc123.png.
- Once you have resized all of your images, navigate to the [images] folder, then to
the [profiles] folder and begin your upload by clicking ‘upload’ in the upper right
- The 'Upload to [/path/to/your_profiles/images]' window will appear. Set Access Group to prevent others from modifying your images. Click '+Add' to select files from your computer or drag files from your desktop. If there is a problem with any filenames, the text will be red and uploading is blocked.
If so, rename the file by hovering over the file and clicking 'Rename'. Use lowercase words separated by hyphens (remember, no special characters are allowed).
Do not forget to include the extension.
Note: only jpgs and pngs are accepted. Gifs are also accepted, but are converted to jpgs when uploaded, so any animated gifs will not perform correctly.
- The images are now upload to the staging server. To push these out to the Production
Server, select all images by clicking on the check box in the top left and click 'Publish' on the tool bar. On the following screen, click 'Publish'.
Create the profile pages
IMPORTANT: Do this for every employee BEFORE publishing any pages.
- Start at the main department directory level of the site.
- Click on the [profiles] folder.
- Click the green ‘+New’ button in the upper right corner and select 'New Profile Page'.
- Begin filling out the form with the employee’s profile information as pertinent to that particular employee. This information can be edited later, but now is a perfect time to enter as much information as possible.
- For the ‘File Configuration’ portion at the bottom of this window, please keep ‘Yes’ for ‘Add Navigation Item’ and do not select ‘Overwrite Existing’.
- Click create.
- You will now see a window like this:
- To further edit this page and to add an image, click the ‘Edit’ button (upper left).
- Now you will see an orange ‘Multi Edit’ button appear at the upper center of your page. Click this button. You have now been directed to another form that includes fields for additional options and a field to upload an image.
- To upload an image, click the ‘Choose photo’ link. Select the image corresponding
to the employee profile.
- Take this time to scroll down and fill in any additional information about this employee. When complete, choose ‘Save’ at the bottom of the window.
- You have completed the basic setup for an employee profile.
- Repeat steps 2-13 for each employee profile.
Publishing the Profiles
Now that you have created all your employee profiles, it’s time to publish.
- Start from the ‘profiles’ folder of your site. Click the white check box in the black bar to the left of the word ‘Type’. This will select all files in this folder.
- Click the ‘publish’ button right above the black bar.
- In this same window, click the white check box next to ‘index.pcf’ and publish this file by itself. This step is required any time you edit an existing profile page (abc123.pcf) and any time you create a new profile page.*
Congratulations, you have successfully created your employee profiles. A collection of all employee profiles can be viewed by clicking on the ‘Profiles’ link in your left navigation.
* NOTE: If you make any changes to an employee profile page after initial create, you must re-publish the employee profile page (abc123.pcf) AND the index.pcf page in that order for your changes to be reflected.