Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization, (SEO) is related to how individual pages show up in search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and others. SEO involves adding tags and keywords to a page so that it will consistently appear in search results.
You can get SEO analysis by asking for a SiteImprove account.
SEO Best Practices
You can help improve ranking of UTC pages in search engines by:
- Use words and phrases (keywords) that your users are most likely to type into search engines.
- Tags, a new feature (under Section and Page Properties and Parameters) will be used in the future for search biasing and prioritization.
- Write effective URLs, with keywords included and dashes separating words. Skip unimportant words.
- Write effective title tags for each page of the web site, so that Google correctly files your pages in its library.
- Write compelling metatag descriptions for each page of the website, so that once your page tops the search engine results, visitors will choose it.
- Write focused, optimized content for primary "magnet" pages (i.e. for degree programs).
- Use properly ordered and nested headings to visually and semantically structure your text content.
- Avoid using blank lines for vertical spacing; use horizontal lines. Avoid using bolded text for headings; use the basic Heading 1, Heading 2.
- Include keywords in the internal links that are sprinkled throughout the content on your site (e.g., "Click here for more information about financial aid, loans, scholarships and grants," not "Click here for more information."
- Eliminate all duplicate content throughout the site.
- Pay attention to site architecture, and don't have "magnet" pages nested too deeply within the site.
- Use your own "link juice" from your home page to boost "magnet" pages.
- Addition through subtraction (take outdated or useless pages off website; move off-topic content to another page; and remove unnecessary layers of nesting).
- Use great design, great calls to action and great directions for next steps to take to turn your newfound search engine traffic into conversions!
List by Noel-Levitz, "Search Engine Optimization Best Practices 2012."