Interlibrary Loan Policies
The mission of the UTC Library Interlibrary Loan unit is to support the teaching, learning and research endeavors of UTC students, faculty, and staff by providing access to information not locally available through the quick and accurate processing of information requests, and to contribute to the larger scholarly community through lending our materials. We offer this support by delivering excellent customer service in the most effective and efficient manner possible, valuing the free exchange of information, employing the effective use of technology, establishing beneficial partnerships with other libraries and institutions, encouraging staff to engage in relevant training and development, and improving the unit's effectiveness through systematic, ongoing assessment of data.
Who can borrow?
- Interlibrary loan services are available to currently UTC students, faculty, staff, and retired UTC faculty (with a valid retiree ID).
- Lending and borrowing are conducted between libraries and not between libraries and individuals. ILL only works with libraries and cannot purchase or acquire items directly from authors, publishers, or other vendors. The UTC Library will purchase books and materials that support the curriculum and faculty research. Please use our form to suggest a purchase. All purchase suggestions are handled through the Collection Services Department.
What does it cost?
- Eligible UTC ILL users are not responsible for ILL borrowing charges up to $25.00. UTC Library will make every effort to acquire materials at no cost; however, sometimes it is not possible to borrow items for free and a fee is assessed by the lending library. If a fee exceeds $25.00, ILL staff will cancel the request due to cost. In this event, you will receive an e-mail detailing the cost and reason for cancellation and will be asked if you are willing to pay the difference in cost (above $25.00) associated with acquiring the item via ILL. If you agree to the charge, a bill will be placed on your UTC Library Account and can be paid at the Check Out Desk via cash, check, or campus points (MocsCard).
- ILL users will be responsible for all charges assessed by a lending library for overdue, lost, and/or damaged items. The fines and fees are determined by the lending library and will be passed on directly to you via a bill within your UTC Library Account. If fines or fees exceed $15.00 a hold will be placed within your account in Banner and within the UTC Library. Payments can be made at the UTC Library Check Out Desk in the form of cash, check, or campus points (Mocs Card.)
What can be borrowed, for how long, and are there other restrictions?
- Eligible UTC ILL users can borrow a maximum of 10 items per week.
- Textbooks found on the current UTC textbook list and available through the UTC Bookstore cannot be borrowed. ILL cannot serve as a replacement for purchasing textbooks. We realize that the burden to purchase textbooks is often high. If you are finding it difficult to acquire your textbooks, please let your instructor know and encourage them to place a copy in our Course Reserves. You may also want to speak with a UTC Bookstore representative about options like rental.
- Many different types of materials can be requested via ILL, including books, articles, chapters, microfilm/microfiche, and conference proceedings. The following items are often difficult to obtain as many libraries will not lend them: rare and older books and manuscripts (especially if housed in an Archives or Special Collections), popular/new fiction, entire journal volumes, dissertations and theses, conference proceedings, audiovisual materials (DVD/CDs), maps, bulky and fragile items, and reference works.
- No repeat loans. ILL provides short-term loans (2-4 week average.) Please do not reorder the same item multiple times. If you need a book longer than a typical interlibrary loan and one renewal provides, consider recommending the item for library purchase.
- Loan periods for ILL items are established by the lending libraries. An average loan period is 2 weeks or 14 days. Turnaround time averages 7-14 days depending on the speed with which UTC Library and the lending library can process the request and the amount of time it takes to deliver the item.
- The lending library may impose restrictions on use, such as library use only, no photocopying, no renewals, or short loan terms. We ask your cooperation in abiding by these restrictions so that we may continue to use these libraries’ collections on behalf of the UTC community.
- Loan times and limits are set by the lending institution sending us the material. When you receive the item, it will have details about the due date, and about whether or not you may request a renewal to keep the item a bit longer. If a renewal is allowed, you can request the renewal via your ILLiad account. Follow these directions:
- Log into ILLiad.
- Under “Your Request”, select “View/Renew ILL Loans.”
- Select an item to renew.
- Click the “request renewal” button. If you can renew the item, the renewal will be
You may request only one renewal per item. If the lending library does not agree to your two-week request, we will notify you via e-mail with the call to return the item.
How do I make a request, how long does it take, and where do I pick up and return borrowed items?
- Requests must be submitted electronically via ILLiad. ILLiad requires first-time users to create a user account. Once the user account is established, users can submit requests anytime from a computer with internet access.
- ILL works best if the request submitted is complete. ILL expects users to verify that a requested item is not already available through the UTC Library. You can use the library search to search for citations/titles. If you have any questions about using our search tools, please contact us at Library@utc.edu Users are also responsible for providing a complete bibliographic citation for each item requested, including author, title, date of publication, pages needed, etc… The source of the citation (database searched and accession number, book reference and page) are also very helpful and can be added as notes. Any other special information like deadlines or format or edition needed are appreciated.
- You will be notified by e-mail when your requested item is available.
- Articles are typically delivered electronically via a persistent URL or a PDF file to your ILLiad Account. It typically takes between 1 and 3 days for an electronic copy of the article to be delivered to your account.
- Books/physical items can be picked up and returned at the Check Out Desk on the first floor of the UTC Library. It can take between a week to 10 days for your loan to arrive at the UTC Library.