Click on each question to learn more.
- Who can use the Interlibrary Loan service?
Current UTC students, staff, and faculty. For users not belonging to those groups, we encourage you to contact your local public library about interlibrary loan services.
- How do I place an interlibrary loan request?
Requests must be submitted electronically via ILLiad. ILLiad requires first-time users to create a user account. The "Get It @ UTC" and "Borrow From Another Library" buttons will also direct you to ILLiad if you see them in a database or the catalog.
- Can I get my textbooks through interlibrary loan?
No. ILL cannot borrow any materials currently listed as required or supplemental course texts on the current textbook list available through the UTC Bookstore. ILL cannot serve as a replacement for purchasing textbooks. We realize that the burden to purchase textbooks is often high. If you are finding it difficult to acquire your textbooks, please let your instructor know and encourage them to place a copy in our Course Reserves. You may also want to speak with a UTC Bookstore representative about options like rental.
- What kinds of materials can I get through interlibrary loan?
Many different types of materials can be requested via ILL, including books, articles, book chapters, and DVDs. The following items are often difficult to obtain as many libraries will not lend them: rare and older books, archival material, popular/new fiction, entire journal volumes, dissertations and theses, maps, and reference works.
- How long does it take to get an ILL item?
Turnaround times depend on the availability and circulation policies of the libraries sending us materials.
- Articles are generally delivered 1-3 business days from the time of request.
- Books and DVDs can take 7-10 business days to arrive from the time of request.
- How long can I keep an ILL item and can I renew it?
Due dates are set by the library sending us the material. When you receive the item, you will be told the due date. Unless your item has a "NO RENEWALS" restriction, you can request the renewal via your ILLiad account. Follow these directions:
- Under the "Review Requests" heading, click "Checked Out Items." Click the six-digit Transaction Number of the item you want to renew.
- You may request only one renewal per item for two weeks. If the lending library does not agree to your two-week request, we will notify you via e-mail with the call to return the item.
- Click "Renew Request."
- You can renew items one time for a two-week period.
- Items with "NO RENEWALS" printed on the front of the paperwork cannot be renewed.
- How much does ILL cost?
It’s free (about 99% of the time)!
Some libraries charge for the use of their books or articles. The UTC Library will cover those charges up to $25 per request. If we are only able to obtain your requested material from a library that charges more than $25, we will contact you to ask if you are willing to pay those additional charges. If so, we will place a bill on your UTC Library Account for the difference. This bill can be paid at the Check Out Desk using Scrappy Cash.
- What happens if I lose an item I borrowed via interlibrary loan?
You must pay a replacement fee and processing fee determined by the library lending you the material. We will place a bill on your UTC Library Account. This bill can be paid at the Check Out Desk using Scrappy Cash.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.