The mission of the UTC Library Interlibrary Loan unit is to support the teaching, learning and research endeavors of UTC students, faculty, and staff by providing access to information not locally available through the quick and accurate processing of information requests, and to contribute to the larger scholarly community through lending our materials. We offer this support by delivering excellent customer service in the most effective and efficient manner possible, valuing the free exchange of information, employing the effective use of technology, establishing beneficial partnerships with other libraries and institutions, encouraging staff to engage in relevant training and development, and improving the unit's effectiveness through systematic, ongoing assessment of data.
Who can borrow?
How are requests managed?
- ILL requests are processed Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM.
- ILL requests for journal articles and book chapters will be sent to libraries that have these materials in their collection and have permission to share these materials. Articles and book chapters will be delivered from the lending library directly to your ILLiad account as a pdf document. We suggest saving all pdf documents to your own preferred device once received. Files are removed from your account 60 days after the delivery date.
- Beginning Fall 2020, all ILL requests for monographs will be assessed for purchase for the UTC Library collection. This assessment will consider cost, relevance to curriculum and research needs, and the availability of the item in an electronic format where licensing allows for the utilization by all students, faculty, and staff. If a requested item meets the criteria for purchase, we will prioritize purchase in an electronic format. Purchase of a print copy will only occur when licensing options prevent access to all UTC students, faculty, and staff. In cases where we decide an item is not viable for purchase, ILL staff will request a physical item be sent to the UTC Library from another library.
- Lending and borrowing are conducted between libraries and not between libraries and individuals. By submitting an ILL request, users of the ILL service agree to abide by the due date, renewal policies, and any additional restrictions that lending libraries impose on their materials.
What does it cost?
Eligible UTC ILL users are not responsible for ILL borrowing charges up to $25.00. UTC Library will make every effort to acquire materials at no cost; however, sometimes it is not possible to borrow items for free and libraries assess a fee for the use of their materials. If a fee exceeds $25.00, ILL staff will communicate with you via e-mail to inquire whether or not you would accept charges to access your requested material. If yes, a bill will be placed on your UTC Library Account and can be paid at the Check Out Desk via Scrappy Cash (MocsCard).
ILL users accept responsibility for all charges assessed by a lending library for overdue, lost, and/or damaged items. The lending library determines whether an item is overdue, lost, or damaged and also determines all fines and fees associated with those conditions. Charges will be passed on directly to you via a bill within your UTC Library Account. Once the UTC Library receives a bill for an ILL item, we cannot waive that fine. If fines or fees exceed $15.00 a hold will be placed within your account in Banner and within the UTC Library. Payments can be made at the UTC Library Check Out Desk via Scrappy Cash (Mocs Card.)
What can be borrowed, for how long, and are there other restrictions?
How do I make a request, how long does it take, and where do I pick up and return borrowed items?
Requests must be submitted electronically via ILLiad. ILLiad requires first-time users to create a user account. Once the user account is established, users can submit requests anytime from a computer with internet access.
ILL works best if the request submitted is complete. ILL expects users to verify that a requested item is not already available through the UTC Library. You can use the UTC Library Catalog to search for citations/titles. If you have any questions about using our search tools, please contact us at [email protected]. Users are also responsible for providing a complete bibliographic citation for each item requested, including author, title, date of publication, pages needed, etc. The source of the citation (database searched and accession number, book reference and page) are also very helpful and can be added as notes. Any other special information like deadlines or format or edition needed are appreciated.
You will be notified by e-mail when your requested item is available.
- Articles and book chapters are delivered electronically as a pdf document to your ILLiad Account. It typically takes between 1 and 3 business days for an electronic copy of the article to be delivered to your account. We suggest saving all pdf documents to your own preferred device once received. Files are removed from your account 60 days after delivery date.
Books and other physical items can be picked up and returned at the Check Out Desk on the first floor of the UTC Library. Please anticipate 7-10 business days for the arrival of physical materials.