EndNote is a citation management software program designed to help insert citations into a paper in any style. The University of Tennessee maintains a campus-wide annual subscription for EndNote and it is available at no cost to students, staff, and faculty. Below are descriptions of the two types of EndNote software as well as some helpful tools for using EndNote.
EndNote basic (online)
EndNote basic is a limited online version of EndNote and is perfect when you're new to research and writing. When you find yourself in need of more robust capabilities, move up to EndNote X9.
Set up your account
EndNote X9 (desktop)
The desktop version of EndNote helps you store and organize your research, download new references from library databases, create bibliographies using over 5,000 styles, use your references as you write, share with colleagues, and access and manage your research from anywhere by syncing with your EndNote online account.
- Get EndNote X9
- Your UTC password must be up to date. If you have not changed your password recently, visit https://ds.utk.edu/passwords and follow the steps to reset it (existing users)
- Visit the UTK Software Distribution site. Log in using your UTCID and password.
- Choose Clarivate Analytics (EndNote). Choose EndNote X9 for either Windows or Mac and click Download selected item
- The software and instructions will download as a zipped file on your computer
- You MUST extract (unzip) the files before you can install EndNote.
- Once EndNote is successfully installed, you can use the sync button to connect your desktop version to your EndNote Online account if you have one (highly recommended).
EndNote Training & Support
Visit the EndNoteTraining Channel for tutorials. For help exporting citations from library databases to EndNote, select database-specific instructions using the dropdown menu below.