The Learning and Leadership (LEAD) Programs offer the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Leadership & Decision-Making. The certificate program is offered for professionals who wish to increase their knowledge and application of leadership and decision-making skills as relate to Higher Education. The program equips students with knowledge and skills for efficient, effective, and ethical leadership and decision-making in a variety of Higher Education contexts.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Leadership & Decision-Making, students complete five 3-credit hour courses. Three specific courses are required.
Required Certificate Courses
- LEAD 7830 – Higher Education: Administration and Leadership (offered every Fall semester)
- LEAD 7840 – Higher Education: Strategy and Decision-Making (offered every Spring semester)
- LEAD 7850 – Higher Education: Planning and Resources (offered every Summer semester)
Additional Certificate Courses
- Two approved 3-credit hour courses in higher education and/or decision-making with approval from the Program Director/Advisor
= 15 Total Credit Hours Required
This certificate program is available to degree-seeking (e.g. PhD, EdD) students as well as non-degree seeking individuals. Applications are accepted year-round (Fall, Spring, and Summer).
Applicants for the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Leadership & Decision-Making must:
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Have 3-5 years related experience
- Submit a statement of purpose (essay questions) for pursuing the certificate
How to Apply
- Complete the Graduate Application
- Graduate Application (link: Apply Now)
- Essay questions
- Current resume/CV
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions, even if a degree was not awarded
- Non-refundable application fee (first time UTC graduate students only)
- For assistance with the Graduate Application, please contact Graduate School Program Liaison, Mr. Mark Fairchild, at [email protected] or 423-425-1780.
Individuals will be admitted to the Certificate Program in Higher Education Leadership & Decision-Making if they meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School as stated in the Graduate Catalog.
Following admission to the Higher Education Leadership & Decision-Making certificate program, please contact the LEAD Program Office at [email protected] for advisement and registration information.