Submissions are open from August 21 to October 6, 2023.
Voting will take place during the Fall 2023 study abroad fair from 11am - 2pm on October 25, 2023 (in the UC Tennessee room).
Any photo submitted must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- The photo must have been taken while studying abroad during the Fall 2022 through Summer 2023 semesters.
- The photo must have been taken by a UTC student.
- The student submitting the photo must be the one who took it.
- Photos do not have to only be of the country your program was based in. For example, if you studied abroad in Spain but visited Morocco during your stay, you may submit a photo taken in either country.
However, we cannot accept photos taken on a trip unrelated to UTC study abroad. For example, if you vacationed to Iceland on your own, independent of UTC, you may not submit a photo from that trip.
- The photo must have been taken on a UTC study abroad trip. Provider trips, exchange programs, and faculty led trips qualify. Both internships and academic programs qualify.
- Submission Specifications
Submissions should be of high quality and high resolution. (If you captured your photo with a film or polaroid camera, please scan it into a computer to turn it into a digital file).
Acceptable file types include jpeg, png, and tiff.
Please include your first and last name in the file name, e.g.FirstNameLastNameStudyAbroad.jpeg.
We strongly discourage using any photo manipulation software filters that change the image colors past their original natural limits, e.g. Instagram or VSCO color grading presets.
Photographs containing alcohol, questionable content, or illegal activities will not be considered.
- Submission Categories
Individual students may submit up to one photo per category, resulting in a maximum of two total submissions.
- Community: A photo that showcases the inherent community spirit of an international experience.
- Place: A photo that captures the essence of the place you studied abroad (seriously, show us a photo that is going to make other UTC students want to go there too!).
- Submission Descriptions
Along with your photo submission, we highly encourage you to include a written description.
This description is your chance to provide additional context and background information to help viewers understand your message. This is also an opportunity to justify your photo’s inclusion in the category to which you are submitting. The submission description may take many different forms — such as a short essay, poem, or vignette — and may be as descriptive or abstract as you want.
- How to Submit
Submit your photo(s) through your UTC study abroad portal (look for the Photo Contest form that has been added), Submissions close on October 6, 2023.
This year, voting will take place during the Fall 2023 study abroad fair. Voting will take place from from 11am - 2pm on October 25, 2023 in the UC Tennessee room.
What to expect from the voting process:
- Individuals can vote in the contest during the study abroad fair. Each photo will be accompanied by its submission description (if one was provided).
- Each photo will be tagged with the category that it was submitted under (Community or Place). We encourage voters to take into consideration how best the photo aligns with the category it was submitted for.
- During the fair, you will stop by the photo contest booth and be given THREE tickets. You will use those tickets to vote for your top 3 photos. After you have voted, you'll be given another ticket to take to the CGE table where you can get some swag as a thank you for voting in this year's photo contest.
- Prizes and Awards
In total, twelve winners will be selected (one for each month of the year, obviously!). Winners will be determined by most votes given during the study abroad fair.
Winning photos will be highlighted in our 2024 calendar, featured on our website and social media pages, and displayed in our office.
Finalists will also receive copies of the calendar!
Please note: Each submission may only receive an award in one category. For example, if a submission is up for two categories (two photos submitted, one in each category), it will be awarded in the category for which it received the most overall votes relative to other submissions.
- Terms and Conditions
All photo submissions will become the property of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the University’s Center for Global Education, both of which will enjoy full rights to display and circulate the photo, with or without photographer attribution.
Submitting a photograph to this contest indicates that you understand these terms and conditions and agree to grant these rights to the aforementioned parties.
- Have Questions?
If you have questions, you can contact Senior Study Abroad Advisor, Jamie Booth ([email protected]).