Submissions are open from April 15 to September 2, 2022.
Voting will take place from September 9 to 30, 2022.
Any photo submitted must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- The photo must have been taken while studying abroad during the Fall 2020 through Summer 2022 semesters (including Winter 2020 and 2021 programs).
- The photo must have been taken by a UTC student.
- The student submitting the photo must be the one who took it.
- Photos do not have to only be of the country your program was based in. For example, if you studied abroad in Mexico but visited Belize during your stay, you may submit a photo taken in either country.
However, we cannot accept photos taken on a trip unrelated to UTC study abroad. For example, if you vacationed to Iceland on your own, independent of UTC, you may not submit a photo from that trip.
- The photo must have been taken on a UTC study abroad trip. Provider trips, exchange programs, and faculty led trips qualify. Both internships and academic programs qualify.
- Submission Specifications
Submissions should be of high quality and high resolution. (If you captured your photo with a film or polaroid camera, please scan it into a computer to turn it into a digital file).
Acceptable file types include jpeg, png, and tiff.
Please include your first and last name in the file name, e.g.FirstNameLastNameStudyAbroad.jpeg.
We strongly discourage using any photo manipulation software filters that change the image colors past their original natural limits, e.g. Instagram or VSCO color grading presets.
Photographs containing alcohol, questionable content, or illegal activities will not be considered.
- Submission Categories
Individual students may submit up to one photo per category, resulting in a maximum of four total submissions.
- Perception: A photo that reflects an “A-ha” moment or special realization you had as a result of your study abroad experience.
- Humanity: A photo that showcases a positive social encounter or an opportunity you had to serve others.
- Diversity: A photo that displays a diverse experience you had, e.g. something outside your typical expectations or perceptions of others.
- Perseverance: A photo illustrating a difficulty you had to overcome
- Submission Descriptions
Along with your photo submission, we highly encourage you to include a written description.
This description is your chance to provide additional context and background information to help viewers understand your message. This is also an opportunity to justify your photo’s inclusion in the category to which you are submitting. The submission description may take many different forms — such as a short essay, poem, or vignette — and may be as descriptive or abstract as you want.
- How to Submit
Submit here! Submissions close on September 2, 2022.
This year, voting will take place through an online poll. Voting will take place from September 9 to 30, 2022.
What to expect from the voting process:
- Individuals can vote in the contest here. Each photo will be accompanied by its submission description (if one was provided).
- Each photo will be tagged with the category that it was submitted under (Perception, Humanity, Diversity, Perseverance). We encourage voters to take into consideration how best the photo aligns with the category it was submitted for.
- You will be asked to submit your UTC ID, if you have one; your first and last names; your UTC status, i.e. whether you are a student, faculty member, staff member, or community member; and the email address at which you prefer to receive your submission confirmation.
- Prizes and Awards
In total, nine awards will be granted. We will present a variety of awards based on the submission categories and survey results. Additionally, special awards will be granted independent of the survey results. The awards are as follows:
- Best Overall: The photo with the most overall votes from the survey results.
- Best in Category (based on survey voting results): Perception, Humanity, Diversity, and Perseverance.
- Students’ Choice: The photo which receives the most student votes.
- Staff Pick: The photo which receives the most staff votes.
- Faculty Pick: The photo which receives the most faculty votes.
- Chancellor’s Award: The photo which receives the most administrator votes.
Finalist submissions will be highlighted in our 2023 calendar, featured on our website and social media pages, and displayed in our office.
Finalists will also receive copies of the calendar!
Please note: Each submission may only receive an award in one category. For example, if a submission is up for two or more award categories, it will be awarded in the category for which it received the most overall votes relative to other submissions.
- Terms and Conditions
All photo submissions will become the property of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the University’s Center for Global Education, both of which will enjoy full rights to display and circulate the photo, with or without photographer attribution.
Submitting a photograph to this contest indicates that you understand these terms and conditions and agree to grant these rights to the aforementioned parties.
- Have Questions?
If you have questions, you can contact Senior Study Abroad Advisor, Jamie Booth ([email protected]).