Admissions Procedures and Requirements
The primary program faculty serve as an admissions committee and make recommendations to the UTC Graduate School regarding each application. The admissions committee has developed admissions standards designed to serve the goal of admitting students it believes will be successful in the program. Information that is considered in the admissions process includes undergraduate grade point average, scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), the candidate’s personal statement of interest in the program, and letters of recommendation.
All required materials for the application are submitted by the applicant via an electronic application system at the link provided below. Note that the School Psychology Program is a graduate level program that requires all applicants to have completed (or to be in the last semester of completing) an undergraduate degree; the Program also considers applicants who have previously completed graduate coursework and/or a graduate degree.
Steps for submitting an application to the UTC School Psychology Ed.S. Program:
*NOTE: Applications have been closed for the Fall 2022 semester. Applications for Fall 2023 will open on Aug. 1, 2022.
1) Complete an application for admission with the UTC Graduate School. (Submission of an application fee with the graduate school application is also required). Go to the Graduate School website at:
and click specifically on "Advanced Educational Practice: School Psychology" where you will find the link for electronic submission of application materials
2) Complete the School Psychology Program Application. (A link to apply and submit materials for the Fall 2023 semester TBA.)
The program application includes:
- A statement of purpose section where the applicant provides responses to questions regarding their interest in the School Psychology Program.
- Letters of recommendation from three professional and/or academic references (applicants submit email addresses for recommenders of their choice and the electronic application system will then automatically send recommendation forms to this address that are then completed by the reference individual and submitted via the electronic application system);
3) Submit an official transcript from each institution attended, even if a degree was not awarded. A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.7 or a GPA of 3.0 during the senior year is required. (An applicant from an unaccredited college must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.) Official transcripts can be sent by mail to the Graduate School or they can be sent electronically to [email protected] or [email protected].
4) Official GRE Test Scores reports sent from Educational Testing Service (School Code: 1831).
**Note that GRE scores are not required for applicants who have previously completed a graduate level degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
Additionally: ALL applicants to the Program must provide evidence of having completed a minimum of 18 semester hours of undergraduate or graduate courses in psychology and/or education (with no grade below C) including:
- Three (3) semester hours in general or educational psychology
- Three (3) semester hours in child/adolescent development
- Three (3) semester hours of characteristics of exceptional children OR abnormal psychology
- An applicant lacking one or more of these courses can be accepted into the School Psychology program as a degree graduate student but must complete any missing course(s) prior to internship.
- An interview (either in-person or via phone) with representatives from the admissions committee is often included in the admissions process along with an optional campus visit. The Program Director will contact the applicant to schedule this interview and to provide information about any upcoming campus visits.
Deadline for Program Applications
- The program considers applicants for admission to the program for either the summer or fall semesters; while applications for the Spring semester will be considered, students are strongly encouraged to begin the program in either the summer or fall semester.
- Priority Date for submission of completed applications: March 1st
NOTE: For applicants wishing to apply for a Graduate Assistantship through the Graduate School, the deadline for the Graduate Assistantship application is April 2.
Graduate Assistantships Form
IMPORTANT NOTE: Graduate Assistantship applications MUST be emailed to [email protected].
For detailed information about the types of Graduate Assistantships and the associated Financial Package, please go to the graduate school page.